Sub divisions in Cary/Morrisville/Apex and nearby locations
  • Page:

TOPIC: ForeverHomes Builder - shut down in Triangle.

ForeverHomes Builder - shut down in Triangle. 8 years 10 months ago #27039

• Lady_from_cary
  • Lady_from_cary's Avatar Topic Author
It is sad to read this news on wral, Forever homes have built very good quality homes since last 4-5 years...but they are now out of business.

Countless homeowners across the Triangle are trying to figure out what to do next after their builder, ForeverHome, appears to have suddenly shut down. Signs posted on the doors of their model homes warn, “no trespassing. Property repossessed by owner."

Joelle Andrews and her husband planned to build a townhome in Raleigh's Lynwood Bluff neighborhood.

"We signed all the papers, said yes, we are doing this, here is our check," she said.

The couple put down a $2,500 deposit in May.

"Another two weeks went by, we were wondering what was going on," Andrews said. "Then at the four to five week mark, our Realtor notified us that things seemed to be going south and we should probably start to worry. Maybe even back out."

ForeverHome has multiple communities across the Triangle and Wilmington with new homes ranging from $180,000 to more than $800,000.

"There was no reason to suspect anything," Andrews said.

Danielle Cheek-Smith and her husband ran into a similar problem with their new home in Durham's Brighleaf neighborhood.

The couple put down $3,000 in March and planned to move in April. The home is built, but the interior is still just drywall and bare floors.

WRAL's 5 On Your Side spoke with ForeverHome's attorney, Ben Clifton. He said the company is "broke" and described the issue as a "cash flow problem," and said the company was "scrambling to figure it all out."

"If I were a consumer, I would try really hard to do all I could to get my money back" said James Vann, an attorney who handles real estate law, but is not connected to the issues with ForeverHome.

He said an option would be for buyers to try to file a request to terminate the contract to get their money back. Otherwise, the buyer may have to consider the amount of money paid so far, and assess whether it is worth pursuing in court.

"It will not be simple and it will not be quick," Vann said.

​Andrews and Cheeck-Smith both canceled their contracts, and hope to get their deposits back. They’re still startled by the troubles surrounding ForeverHome.

"This is not the kind of thing that sneaks up on a corporation overnight," Andrews said. "They must have seen it coming. They should have planned better."

News Link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ForeverHomes Builder - shut down in Triangle. 8 years 10 months ago #27040

Sad to hear. They built Manchester Park homes and I am very satisfied with the quality of the home. I am not sure what will happen to the structural guarantee that they give. I will check it out.

ForeverHomes Builder - shut down in Triangle. 8 years 10 months ago #27042

Friends, don't get fooled by the craze of buying homes right now.
Becareful while selecting good realtors. But at the same time, most of the houses are brought with buyers investigation/research only. It is because we have our friends or some one who suggested because he or his friend or a friend of his friend brought in the same neighborhood.

In those scenarios, there is no much that a realtor can really help us in bargain or something else. As someone in the above posts said, it is a purely sellers market. Nobody can bargain and reduce even 5k in popular areas with good school districts areas.

There are few realtors who are just taking 1k as their fees if the buyer did all investigation but only needs a realtor for signing purpose for commission. For example if your house is 400k then normally most builders give 2.5% commission to realtor which is 10k. In this case the realtor is giving 9k$ either in closing cost or giving a signed contract to lender to adjust this 9k in the total price of the house. And taking only 1k as fees.

They are happy because all they r making is just a trip to the builders office for signing purpose. Many realtors in NC area are doing this. But unless you ask, no realtor tells this and simply give 1.5% to you from 2.5% they get as commission.

Do your own research how ever.. you might get realtors of NC from this below link
www.zillow.com/morrisville-nc/real-estate-agent-reviews/?regionID=6050&locationText=Morrisville%20NC

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds