Sub divisions in Cary/Morrisville/Apex and nearby locations
  • Page:

TOPIC: New home Inspections & Walk through's

New home Inspections & Walk through's 10 years 7 months ago #23758

How important are home inspections and walk through's in a hot market?

I am sure some of you on this board may be in the process of building your dream home here in the Triangle. As I am always in that process, working with my buyers in getting their homes built, I have been thinking of
highlighting a critical area that many buyers forget to give adequate importance. Along with the market getting hotter in recent months, there is the possibility of builders/sub contractors not paying enough attention
to the quality of construction. Buyers and their agents could check the homes whenever they want but they are given a few formal opportunities by way of walk through's. Pre-drywall walk through is the 'last' opportunity
you get to see the 'inside' structures (the trusses and beams), electrical, plumbing pipes, HVAC, low voltage wiring (phone, cable, speakers) etc. before they are covered by sheet rock/drywall. It is advisable to get a professional inspector to do a pre-drywall inspection.
Many buyers refuse to do it, relying on builder diligence. In addition to such an inspection, it is important that you and your buyer agent take a thorough look at the home during the walk through with the builder.
An experienced, full time buyer agent who has seen 100's or 1000's of homes being built should have a reservoir of experiences and knowledge to look for trouble spots. Do insist that the builder makes the
corrections before they do the drywall/sheet rock.

The final orientation/walk through after the home is completed, is also very important. As builders may cut the time between the final walk through and closing, it is important to keep in touch with them and find out when you can get a private inspection by your inspector be done. Should insist builders take care of all the valid issues highlighted in the Inspection report and the 'punch list' from the walk through. In a hot market where builders may have less time to spend on each home, a joint effort by a good Buyer agent and a keen buyer can surely help avoid or significantly mitigate any future issues with the home.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds