Everything about apartments where Desis live
  • Page:

TOPIC: Suggestion for apts nearby Magnets schools

Suggestion for apts nearby Magnets schools 14 years 5 months ago #4005

Hie All

Recently a family had asked me this ques ?But since am ,myself is yet new to the triangle..thought will post the q to u guys..
Their kiddo's r planning to go to magnet schools next year and they want an apt which is closer to the schools and which has our community as well in Raleigh.
I believe most of the magnet schools are around Raleigh zipcodes so they dont mind stayin few miles away rather than having an apt here in Cary or Morrisvile where the kiddos will need to travel such a long distance if they were to put up here.

Send me ur inputs and will pass the info to them..even i believe she might even see my postings here in AT:-)

Time flies and build great memories with the remaining days left in 2009 as we shall embark 2010 pretty soon!..I know i might sound like a party organizer here but shall we make any plans for new year since diwali plans didnt work up!
pour me in ur thoughts:-)

Sri

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Suggestion for apts nearby Magnets schools 14 years 5 months ago #4013

Sri,

being a parent, i have heard mixed reactions on Magnet schools - it depends on whom you talk to.

AFAIK, a school gets a "magnet" status once the fed govt decides to fund the school - to protect it to falter from the falling overall grades of the school. the funding is considered as the "magnet" to attract brighter students. the "magnet" status is only applicable to the school for a certain number of years and once the grades improve and are at a national average, they go back to become a standard school.

the magnet school uses the additional funding to modernize the infrastructure, have more resources and thus can create a better learning environment.

imho, even an average kid will do well in magnet school - the reason the school became magnet was due to falling grades in the first place - as it lacks the so called "brighter students" populace.

although, sending a kid to a magnet high school could in turn be blessing in disguise as most of the unc's have some reserved seats for the toppers from all the local high schools - i maybe wrong on this :-)

some of this info is first-hand as my daughter has attended a magnet school but in a different program - however, the high-school to unc info - i am not sure of and will have to be looked into.

also, since most of the magnet schools are in raleigh area, commute time for the school should be factored in the decision making process. one should never sacrifice on extra-curricular activities and the fun-time at this tender age of kids for the sake of sole academic purpose.

again, it would be nice to hear from other AT parents of kids attending magnet schools with their thoughts to get their perspective as well.

-sanju

Re:Suggestion for apts nearby Magnets schools 14 years 5 months ago #4020

Thanks Sanjus for the input,

A little deviation from the subject line, as i dunno much about apts near it.

I have heard that "magnet" schools have more electives than Std schools. can somebody elobrate on this topic.
I want parents to tell me, their experinces about travelling from cary morrisville area, learning curve and their children's experience there.
These factors will help me decide , if i have to apply next year for my daughter for Kinder.

What advantages does the std school might have over magnet?

thanks

Re:Suggestion for apts nearby Magnets schools 14 years 5 months ago #4021

• Sri
Guess I have started an exciting forum,in fact we too have a litta one whom we were planning to enroll her in a magnet schools in the coming yrs.I have spoken to 3 diff parents.
Parent 1:He has been here for the past 16 yrs in Cary and both of his kids has been going to a magnet school ever since they were in Kinder garden.He loves the magnet schools a lot.
Parent 2:They have been sending their kid to magnet school,absolutely love it but hate it that they need to travel abt 40-45 min one way daily to drop n pick her up or even to let the kid travel by the school bus for the same amount of time
Parent 3:Just send their kid to kinder garden this year to a magnet school,said it was highly competitive but worth it

So there u go..3 inputs which I had gathered from..but at the end no mater which school the kids go..we parents need to do our part as alwaz to ensure that they excel in studies and extra curriculum.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds