Information that will be helpful for new comers
  • Page:

TOPIC: Planning to Move to NC

Planning to Move to NC 14 years 11 months ago #357

Hello all,

I was planning to move to NC from Boston area and was looking for more information on the state and stumbled upon this great site. Thank you all for contributing in site.

From various posts, I could figure that there is a huge Indian community which gives me great confidence to move and settle in NC. My only concern is the temperatures during summer and winter. Can some one please update me on that?

~ Rocky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Planning to Move to NC 14 years 11 months ago #358

• Swarna
Rocky,

If you are moving from Boston, then you are going to love this place. Yes, this place has lot of Indian population.

Summers are pretty hot(Maxium 100 to 103 during peak summer, I mean in June,July) but winters are very mild compared to Boston, almost NO snow here.

Good luck with your new ventures and welcome to Triangle.

Re:Planning to Move to NC 14 years 11 months ago #359

Rocky, Are you planning to move here to escape bitter winter of Boston? Here Winter is pleasantly cold,Summer is hot and Spring is the most heavenly season.

This is very quiet place . Are you prepared for that ?

Good luck and hope every thing works out for you.

Re:Planning to Move to NC 14 years 11 months ago #360

Thanks for the inputs guys. I will keep in mind. I did not quite understand when Bharati said, its a quite place. Can you please put more light on that subject? And I heard about hurricanes as well, how bad are they on over all?

thanks in advance.
~R

Re:Planning to Move to NC 14 years 11 months ago #361

For a person from Boston, this place may feel boarding and calm in terms of traffic, commute, night life, partying and daily hassles. People tend to be laid back and they trickle into office only after 8 AM. Most of the Desis come to office after 9 AM!!. Most of the shops and restaurant close by 9 PM in the suburbs like Cary, Morrisville and Apex. One of my friend from New York stayed in Morrisville for a year and felt it is boring. He moved to Raleigh downtown where night life is better. However, Cary, Morrisville and Apex are good for families with kids.

Hurricanes are not devastating. I have been here for about 4 years and we were never evacuated due to Hurricanes. It is 2 hours from the coast and hurricanes hit Raleigh rarely. Snow creates a havoc as City is not prepared for heavy snow storms. 4 to 6 inches of snow would mean that schools and office are closed for a day or two!! But it snows about once or twice in year and when it snows it is usually one or 2 inches. 4 to 6 inch may be once every 3 or 4 years.

Re:Planning to Move to NC 14 years 11 months ago #373

rocky wrote:

Thanks for the inputs guys. I will keep in mind. I did not quite understand when Bharati said, its a quite place. Can you please put more light on that subject? And I heard about hurricanes as well, how bad are they on over all?

thanks in advance.
~R

Rocky, Satish has explained quite well. If you are single then you will find this city life very slow.I know two people, One had moved from Chicago and another one from Boston.They went back to their city within few months.Ask more doubts so that we can tell you more about Triangle Area.:)

Re:Planning to Move to NC 14 years 11 months ago #376

• A
Single or married or married with kids - Raleigh area is much better than Boston. A lot of Indians and a lot to do otherwise. Just keep an open mind. I know a lot of single girls and guys. NC state, UNC and Duke has a lot of Indian students. There are a lot of grown people like me too.

Re:Planning to Move to NC 14 years 11 months ago #400

Excellent. Good to know that its good area for families as I am married and I have a kid too.
I am surprised to learn that it snows in NC as well. But how bad does it snow and how many times in general. How many months in winter are cold that you cannot think of stepping outside unless it is absolutely necessary. And finally, hows the job market. I am into application development and management side and would have to be looking for a job in that area.

I really appreciate the participation of people in this site.

~R

Re:Planning to Move to NC 14 years 11 months ago #401

• A
Rocky, some answers

1. Snow:- It snows once every two or three years. If it snows, it snows for 1 or 2 inches or some flakes only. When a TV reporter sees flakes, it becomes news. Having said that, on January 26, 2000, it snowed around 20 inches and we were closed for three weeks. That is record for this area. We don't use snow tires or snow boots. If it snows, we stay home and enjoy.

Unless you like snow, that is the last factor to consider

2.Winter Months:- As compared to Boston '0'. We can step out when it is not raining. Typically winter months and Dec, Jan and Feb. But that is Raleigh winter. Cold is never a factor for going for walk...every month we can go out. We have cook outs in December sometimes. Summer is hot - July and August. But it is pleasant in evenings.

3.Job Market:- Very bad. I know several people unemployed. All tech companies are reducing people and sending jobs to India. No startup companies in this area.

If you have a good job in Boston, you should not think of moving here.

Mr./ Ms. A, I'd like to be friends with u 14 years 11 months ago #408

• B
Hi A!

I'm very interested in making friends with u, are you a registered user. You seem to be a very serious, matured being. I love the way you reply to the forums. It is really helpful for people like me who are also moving to Raleigh in June. :) Thanks, B.

Re:Planning to Move to NC 14 years 11 months ago #410

rocky wrote:

Excellent. Good to know that its good area for families as I am married and I have a kid too.
I am surprised to learn that it snows in NC as well. But how bad does it snow and how many times in general . How many months in winter are cold that you cannot think of stepping outside unless it is absolutely necessary. And finally, hows the job market. I am into application development and management side and would have to be looking for a job in that area.

I really appreciate the participation of people in this site.

~R

:) Rocky, you are moving from Boston and scared of snow in NC? It snows very pleasant here.It is fun to have one or two times snow in entire winter season..As Mr.A said we just stay home and enjoy.We have the most pristine and fluffiest snow fall here.I have uploaded three pictures of this years snow fall..Take a look please.. Cary snow...

Re:Mr./ Ms. A, I'd like to be friends with u 14 years 11 months ago #415

• A
B wrote:

Hi A!

I'm very interested in making friends with u, are you a registered user. You seem to be a very serious, matured being. I love the way you reply to the forums. It is really helpful for people like me who are also moving to Raleigh in June. :) Thanks, B.

Hello B,

Please put your email address on this post and I will email you after Memorial Day weekend. I will not have access to computer till Monday night.

A

Re:Planning to Move to NC 14 years 11 months ago #430

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warning on the job market. That is making me put some thinking into moving currently. And coming to snow, I am not scared of it. I just don't like the situation where you don't want to step outside your home unless you HAVE to for more than 4 months in an year.

~R

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds