Information that will be helpful for new comers
  • Page:

TOPIC: Moving to Cary

Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2483

• Kumar
  • Kumar's Avatar Topic Author
Hi there, I am moving to Cary from TamilNadu and my wife is looking for an apartment where she has South Asian presence (preferably Tamilian's) considering her communication ease. I came across the Stratford Apartment (in Kingsclere Dr). Does it have good South Asian presence? Need your help in choosing the right apartment in Cary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2484

• A
  • A's Avatar Topic Author
Did you want Tamilians of particualr village or dialect?

A
Kumar wrote:

Hi there, I am moving to Cary from TamilNadu and my wife is looking for an apartment where she has South Asian presence (preferably Tamilian's) considering her communication ease. I came across the Stratford Apartment (in Kingsclere Dr). Does it have good South Asian presence? Need your help in choosing the right apartment in Cary.

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2485

Kumar wrote:

From post it is clear that you are coming first time to America..Why do you choose that appartment? Is it near to your work place? I think there are few chances of getting lot of Indians in this appartment community.

As far as south asian preference..please remove all such thoughts that if u find Tamilian as neighbor then you will become good friends or that family will be communicating very freely with your wife..There is high chance that even they are Tamil..they just end up wishing you hi and bye. It takes lot time to make someone your friend in America.

Give us location of your work...there is better choice of appartments with more Indian population.

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2497

• M
  • M's Avatar Topic Author
I'm moving from Chicago to Cary,NC by end of Oct. Recently visited Cary & morrisville area and finally I booked at Bexley at Carpenter village - old name is Old Towne at Carpenter village in cary. It's nice place for family,lot of Indian is living in this apartment.

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2504

• A
LFC,

Kumar is Tamil so he is only going to talk with Tamils - come on. Let is find a pure Tamil subdivision for him. I did not see any reply about village and dialect. I would imagine somehting like

"A pure brahim Tamil from Madras (Raghav Nagar) with the name Suresh needs an apartment where atleast one other Tamil Brahim lives who relocated from Raghav Nagar"

A

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2506

• Pissed off.
  • Pissed off.'s Avatar Topic Author
Let Us not discourage the new posts, asking about tamils or any other community here.
Probably, this is THE kind of discussion will discourage making friends other than their own community.
Let stick to what we are here for, for Help others and healthy discussion to encourage the world around us.I'm not a tamilian and hence i'm speaking just on "helpers" behalf.

Kumar,
I know how it feels have your own mother tongue ppl around, if your wife is not comfortable with other languages(untill she learns it!).
There are good amount of encouragement to make other friends also in this place.Don't get discouraged by useless discussions.
Please let us know, where your work place is, and we can let you know, the apts.
As someone mentioned, bexley at carpenters is a good apt complex.

Satish,
These are the kinds of discussions, which makes us pissed off to come and visit the site, especially the useless comments for the HELP section

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2508

Dear Pissed Off,
A gets mad when some one talks about divisions among Indians. It is his way of protesting it. He is helpful but playful.

Kumar,
Do not get scared with the comments. Let us know where you work and we will help you in finding a good place.

Thanks
Satish

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2516

• Kumar
Dear Friends - Apologize if my question has hurt anyone's feelings. Yes, she and my kids (2yr & 5yr old) are coming to US for the first time and hence she desired to have a neighbourhood with some tamil speaking friends. But you are right that we should not be language / community specific. Will help if you can guide me an apartment which has many Indian friends :)

Currently my work location will be in Regency Parkway, Cary. From my search I found that apartments around Kildaire Farm Road are closer and reasonable price, as against in Crossroads (Tryon Road), which are on higher end.

But more than the price, I am really looking for an Indian community apartment where it feels good to have neighbours and feel at home. Thanks a lot for your honest comments.

Kumar

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2519

Kumar,

Cornerstone at Highhouse would be one of the good choice.

Pro -
Nearby Indian population, temples, Groceries, upscale neighbourhood

Cons -
Your office would be around 15 mins from there

There may be better alternative and one of AT members will pitch in.

Thanks
Satish

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2548

• A
Kumar,

Before I could reply to you, I thinkk Satish has made the prefect suggesion.

Corenerstone is good for you though it is aorund 10 to 15 min drive from Regency Parkway but you are going opposite to traffic. Most people to Davis going to RTP but from Cornerstone you are going South - away from RTP.

Cornerstone has good Indian population. It is close to Indian stores too.

My main reason for suggesting this :- It is the only apartment complex I know of in Cary that is walking distance to the all kinds of shopping. Your wife can walk down to Grocery, Bank and several other shops. And it is not on main road BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO BE ON THE MAIN ROAD.

Also Davis Drive is a good school for your 5 year child.

Kildare Farm road is older area of Cary and I dont know if many Indian live there.

Also it worth checking apartement compexes in APEX. Apex is very close to Regency Park and has good schools. Lots of Indians and it might be cheaper.

A

Kumar wrote:

Dear Friends - Apologize if my question has hurt anyone's feelings. Yes, she and my kids (2yr & 5yr old) are coming to US for the first time and hence she desired to have a neighbourhood with some tamil speaking friends. But you are right that we should not be language / community specific. Will help if you can guide me an apartment which has many Indian friends :)

Currently my work location will be in Regency Parkway, Cary. From my search I found that apartments around Kildaire Farm Road are closer and reasonable price, as against in Crossroads (Tryon Road), which are on higher end.

But more than the price, I am really looking for an Indian community apartment where it feels good to have neighbours and feel at home. Thanks a lot for your honest comments.

Kumar

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2585

• Kumar
Thanks a lot Mr.Satish and Mr.A for the valuable inputs. I will definitely consider Cornerstone. If Apex, is there any suggested apartment? This will definitely save lot of my search time.

Also my daughter is studying U.K.G now and will be leaving school halfway and relocate to Cary. Will it be easy to get an admission in David Drive school or any other good elementary schools, at this time? This is very important for us. Kindly suggest.

I will be happy to call on you to have a quick chat as well. Thanks once again.

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2587

You are guaranteed to get an admission to wake county public school. The school are decided on your home/apartment and space availability. The best way to find out the space availability is to call the school and find out. Here is the link to the wake county school - www.wcpss.net/school-directory/

Thanks
Satish

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2590

• A
As I said one of my reason for suggesting Cornerstone because your child will go to Davis Drive Elementary which is considered one of the best school. It is free and she will get admission.

I don't know apartments in Apex but I know there are some. However from schooling perspective Cornerstone is better option.

A

Kumar wrote:

Thanks a lot Mr.Satish and Mr.A for the valuable inputs. I will definitely consider Cornerstone. If Apex, is there any suggested apartment? This will definitely save lot of my search time.

Also my daughter is studying U.K.G now and will be leaving school halfway and relocate to Cary. Will it be easy to get an admission in David Drive school or any other good elementary schools, at this time? This is very important for us. Kindly suggest.

I will be happy to call on you to have a quick chat as well. Thanks once again.

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2593

• Eshgal
  • Eshgal's Avatar Topic Author
Hi Kumar..
The lodge at crossroads is on tyron road itself..Its a good neighbourhood and we have couple of Indian families in here..perhaps a couple whom speaks tamil..but if u want a larger population ..then morrisville is a better option but distance wise its abt 13-15 miles from tryon road..

heard good schools are around here as well.

fyi:we are at the lodge's as well.

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2680

• Kumar
Thanks Eshgal. I checked in google maps and Lodge at Crossroads, Tyron is very close to my work. Glad to hear that there are indian families there. Any good schools nearby? Or does the Davis Drive Elementary Bus come there?

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2730

• pennova98
Kumar wrote:

Thanks Eshgal. I checked in google maps and Lodge at Crossroads, Tyron is very close to my work. Glad to hear that there are indian families there. Any good schools nearby? Or does the Davis Drive Elementary Bus come there?

Hi Kumar. Welcome to the area! I recently moved here myself and am pleasantly surprised at the level of indian diversity in this place. I mean, one does not consider North Carolina to be the racial "melting pot" of America, and I was initially very apprehensive of moving here. HOWEVER, I stand corrected! I will gladly admit that I was VERY wrong about my notions of this area. It has SO MUCH Indian heritage and culture here. There are multiple Mandirs, bazaars, Indian events, etc. RTP (Research Triangle Park) is filled with Indians in the IT world. Duke and University of North Carolina are major universities here which are filled with Indians as well, from nurses to MDs to PhDs. To share a personal story, I went to the Mandir one day last month to do pooja for personal reasons, and it was the cutest thing--- they were having Summer Camp for little children!! It was very nice and brought a smile to my face seeing those kids (little 5 year olds) singing bhagans and stuff! :laugh: :laugh:

Anyways, one suggestion I have for you is to use the following website to READ some reviews of apartments that you MAY be considering before you move here:

www.apartmentratings.com/

My wife and I used this website to make a "preliminary" list of 4 or 5 places that had good RECENT reviews and then came down here to look over these 4-5 places before picking/finalizing a place. We absolutely LOVE our apartment complex, but it probably would not do much benefit for you considering where you work and your preferences about location (I live in Durham/Chapel Hill area, which is about 20-30 minutes away from Cary area), and since we do not have kids, I don't know about the school system in this area. I realize you are coming from India and this is (obviously) more difficult for you than it was for me, but if there is any way that you can get here a few days/week before to see places it would be only beneficial for you and your family. Also, realize that some places DO NOT have immediate availabilities so you may need to investigate that a little further as well to plan your tremendous move accordingly. Don't know if this is your first time being in America or you have been here before. If this IS your first time, there are some things you may need to be aware of before/when you get here, such as the immediacy of apartment availability among other things. A few things come to mind when my parents moved to the US (albeit a long time ago) which caught them by surprise. I have always been VERY protective of people coming straight from India for the very first time, as people here (like in India) MAY (now...don't go down my throat people!! :laugh: :laugh: ) "surprise" you (albeit in different ways). I have learned (well) from the experiences of my parents, family members, and other friends here for the first time. But then again, this is probably true for ANY NEW country you move to! I am sure you have already gotten a (small) taste of things by the input of some people on this blog already! :laugh: :laugh: But this isn't about that...this blog was more for you to get your feet wet to this place and (possibly?) America and to settle down by finding an apartment! If you have any issues/problems, email me and we can discuss more.

Take care!

Siddharth

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2731

• pennova98
Kumar,

And one more thing...you may want to officially register with AT (ApnaTriangle) so this way, you can exchange messages with other people privately as well. And no...I don't have any monetary gains, investment potentials, or vested interest in AT! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just an avid fan of this website...who has a habit of leaving some rather lengthy blogs, as some may attest to! LOL!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2732

• Bini
  • Bini's Avatar Topic Author
Hi Kumar

If you are planning to move in morrisville, Southern oaks at davis drive is a good apartment we have couple of indian family(with kids) leaving here most of them are from south.

Re:Moving to Cary 14 years 7 months ago #2763

• Kumar
Tried registering. It's throwing an error. Think it's not working.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds