Information that will be helpful for new comers
  • Page:

TOPIC: wake county schools

wake county schools 14 years 9 months ago #1464

• move2nc
  • move2nc's Avatar Topic Author
we are considering a move to cary and i have read several threads on city-data about the wake county school system. I am very apprehensive about the move due to all the reassignments.

I have 3 young children starting in elementary school.

i wanted to know if there was a neighborhood with minimal reassignments with a reasonable priced homes (200-400) with a nice parks, tennis courts and swimming pools.

ALso, how is the indian population in raleigh. i was raised in the us with a very strong indian background and want the same for my kids.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:wake county schools 14 years 9 months ago #1470

Hi Naveen, you are not alone; feeling not so happy with the WCPSS re-assignments. But when you have a great school system and there are thousands of families moving to the area and resources are limited, school re-assignments are just natural though not very pleasant for parents and children. Having said that, let me try to answer your question about neighborhoods. I think the following Cary neighborhoods, potentially, seem to have the least re-assignments: Harmony with Turner Creek/Salem (Elem & Middle), Upchurch Farms & Park Village with Davis/Davis, Brookstone & Deveraux with Salem/Salem, Greystone & Weldon Ridge with Mill Park/Salem etc. seems to match some of your requirements. Of course, you may not find all the required amenities in each neighborhood. But there is YMCA and other public facilities. I'll be glad to discuss this and more with you. Please let me know.

Of course, our Indian community here in the Triangle is fantastic! Second to none!

Re:wake county schools 14 years 9 months ago #1479

• A
200K to 400K house is a big range. IMHO, Cary USED to be a nice place...not anymore. Traffic has increased, house prices have gone up drastically, woods have been already cut, some parks but not like before, traffic has increased but not yet like NY and wrost part - too many grocery stores at each corner, too many shopping malls (strip malls) and wrost of all too many Indian grocery stores YIKES - all of them carry stale and undated food. Almost every corner has an Indian store. It is like living in India.

Indian Population:- It is like living in India. Very large Indian population - divided by language and state. ALmost 100 Indian Assoications, three temples I know (within 5 miles) and 2 Gurudwaras. I am sure there is a mosque too

Indian Traders:- Same behaviour like in India

Indian Culture:- Dancing on 5 20 second clips of bollywood songs in March and then in October - thanks to several cultrual organizations that claim to promote unity and culture. There are several dance teachers who claim to teach traditional dance.

Neighborhoods:- New subdivision have large Indian population and you only see Indians walkign on street. Of course yards are not maintained as we don't like to work. Yes, be prepared to open the door when yoru neighbor comes to borrow milkm sugar etc.

Schools:- You will be fine. Mostly professional here and they want kids to do good. Reassignment did not effect as much as people whine.

In nutsheel:- Welcome back to India

A

move2nc wrote:

we are considering a move to cary and i have read several threads on city-data about the wake county school system. I am very apprehensive about the move due to all the reassignments.

I have 3 young children starting in elementary school.

i wanted to know if there was a neighborhood with minimal reassignments with a reasonable priced homes (200-400) with a nice parks, tennis courts and swimming pools.

ALso, how is the indian population in raleigh. i was raised in the us with a very strong indian background and want the same for my kids.

Re:wake county schools 14 years 9 months ago #1484

• move2nc
  • move2nc's Avatar Topic Author
Which parts of morrisville/cary have the least reassignments. Do majority of reassignments occur to inner city kids or low-income kids.??

Also, how is the busing situation (is all hype??). Ive heard kids are bussed 45 minutes or longer.

Re:wake county schools 14 years 9 months ago #1490

Newer subdivisions that are in the middle of 2 schools tend to prone for re-assignments. Inner city or income does NOT seem to matter with reassignments. As Joe mentioned it is mainly due to population growth which prompts for opening of new schools or expansion of some schools. Wake county has 3 new schools this year!!

Busing over 45 minutes is very rare. If you opt for magnet schools then it will take 45 minutes or longer. You need to apply for it. check out http://www.wcpss.net/ for more info.

Satish

Re:wake county schools 14 years 9 months ago #1491

Here is the answer from WCPSS (Wake County Public School System) website.

WCPSS is North Carolina's largest school district. In recent years, Wake County's school population has grown by thousands of new students each year. As a result, WCPSS is constantly opening new schools and it has had a direct impact on where many children attend school. In the past, student assignment was a yearly decision aimed at filling new schools, reducing crowding at existing schools, minimizing bus rides and promoting diversity goals. This year for the first time, the Board of Education approved a three year assignment plan for 2009-2012. By using better technology to predict growth and information from our school construction program, this new plan will provide families with more advanced notice of school assignments for their students.

move2nc wrote:

Which parts of morrisville/cary have the least reassignments. Do majority of reassignments occur to inner city kids or low-income kids.??

Also, how is the busing situation (is all hype??). Ive heard kids are bussed 45 minutes or longer.

Re:wake county schools 14 years 9 months ago #1567

Which part of US are you moving from?

Sanjeev

move2nc wrote:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds