• Page:

TOPIC: DMV Road Test - Need Info

DMV Road Test - Need Info 13 years 6 months ago #8849

• lakshmi
  • lakshmi's Avatar Topic Author
Hi,

I got my learner permit & I have practised for a few weeks now.
I want to take the DMV road test in a couple of weeks.

Can anybody help me with the following information

1.What do they usually test for during the road test. Any specific things to keep in mind?
2. I hear that it is easier to pass at Cary DMV than AventFerry DMV. Is that really the case?
3. I also plan to practise on the roads where the test is given. Can anyone tell me where exactly do they take us for a road test both at cary DMV & AventFerry DMV?

Thanks
Lakshmi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:DMV Road Test - Need Info 13 years 6 months ago #8853

• Well Wisher.
I really had a horrible experience with Cary DMV last month. I have been living in this country for while but still gave me hard time to renew my license. The examinars are incredibily rude and incompassionate. To start with, Avent ferry was the best one I dealth with so far. Even I heard from some of my colleagues that Avent Ferry is lot nicer. So, prepare well, be confident and execute safely. Good Luck.

Re:DMV Road Test - Need Info 13 years 6 months ago #8857

• Anonymous @ Morrisville
Hi,

I had hard time getting my licence in my previous state but it was damn too easy in NC. They are really good....will make you really comfortable and will not make any unnecessarily fuss until they are really displeased by your driving. I went to the Cary DMV and got my DL same day without any problem.The good thing is that they have only one fixed route...take a tour and practice on that road. Drive slow but not too slow than speed limit. Speed limit on that road is 35 and doesn't change so try to drive on 35 MPH only. They will take you to one residential area where they will expect you to drive on 20 MPH and be careful as far as yield and stop signs are concerned but trust me the route those guys follow for test doesn't have many signs so its very easy to pass the test. They will ask you to do 3 point turn in that residential area as well as driving in reverse for some length.Try to use indicator wherever its required. Try to move your shoulder and look back while backing up. They expect you to do that. But I experienced that the DMV people were super cool because that day when I passed the test almost everybody before me (close to 6-8 people)passed the test and got their DL.

Good Luck.

Re:DMV Road Test - Need Info 13 years 6 months ago #8864

• lakshmi
Hi,Thanks a lot for that info. Can you tell me the route they take for road test at Cary DMV? I plan to go there and practise.

Re:DMV Road Test - Need Info 13 years 6 months ago #8865

• Anonymous @ Morrisville
The route which I explored while giving test was as follows:-

Come out of the DMV complex (1387 SE Maynard Road) and take right turn on SE Maynard Road and keep going straight. You will cross one school...I think Cary Middle School (not sure though about the school's name) and then you will hit one traffic signal from there the examiner will tell you to take left turn to go to the residential area where he/she will ask you to do 3 point turn and reverse driving. That residential zone has one round about too where you have to follow the yield sign.
But try to reach early in the morning (before 8:30-9:00 am) on the day of your test...I am not sure about the other DMV but this one is little slow and takes time to get your number.

Good Luck.

Re:DMV Road Test - Need Info 13 years 6 months ago #8874

Folks at Cary DMV were very nice to me. I went for License renewal recently. One thing that I do not like is it gets very crowded. I spent almost 2 hours for my renewal.

Good luck with your test. Let us know about your experience.

Re:DMV Road Test - Need Info 13 years 6 months ago #8884

• lakshmi
Hey all,
thanks for the useful info. Will surely post my road test experience with you all.

Lakshmi

Re:DMV Road Test - Need Info 13 years 3 months ago #10156

how did it go Lakshmi?
can you plz confirm the route & any major heads-ups?

lakshmi wrote:

Hey all,
thanks for the useful info. Will surely post my road test experience with you all.

Lakshmi

Re:DMV Road Test - Need Info 13 years 2 months ago #10661

• lakshmi
Hi all
Just wanted to let u all know that I took the road test last week and cleared it the first attempt!!! Thanks a lot for sharing the test route and to all other AT well wishers.

I went to Cary DMV (without appointment) on Friday at 8.15AM and waited for 1.5 hrs to get my slot. (u can book road test appointments by calling DMV office before hand. As of now, there are no appointments available till Mar 18th at Cary DMV).

All prospective road test takers, note the following:

1. Check the weather forecast when u plan to take the road test (I went on a rainy day)
2. Before the test, the examiner inspects ur car (Be familiar with ur car indicators, head lights, wiper controls etc)
3. Route taken - First, I was asked to go to Sloan Drive, which comes on the right after DMV office on SE Maynard. Then, took Village Greenway further down on SE Maynard road (The residential area where there is a round about& Yield sign).
4. I was tested for - Lane change, Turning & Indication, Reverse along a line (2-3 times), 3 point turn, apply sudden brakes (2-3 times), coming to complete stop at STOP sign, yielding to pedestrians, yielding to oncoming traffic while making turns, U turn,speed limit, parking back at DMV office. It took about 10-15 mins to complete my road test & the traffic was not too bad.

If u perform reasonably well, they dont have a reason to fail you.
I will be glad to share any more dtls u need.

Thanks
Lakshmi

Re:DMV Road Test - Need Info 13 years 2 months ago #10662

Congratulations...Good luck and Drive Safe.

Re:DMV Road Test - Need Info 13 years 2 months ago #10663

• student driver
Lakshmi,
Congratulations on getting the license on first attempt.Thanks for sharing your experience and this will help me.

Re:DMV Road Test - Need Info 13 years 2 months ago #10664

• A
Lakshmi,

Congratulations. Enjoy driving. Go for a long drive, it is a nice day out today.

DMV Road Test - Need Info 8 years 11 months ago #26877

Did they ask you to parallel park? Do they ask that?
TIA

DMV Road Test - Need Info 8 years 10 months ago #26880

I guess no parallel parking in wake county as my instructor told me but sure about cary DMV since I gave test recently. No parallel parking.

Re:DMV Road Test - Need Info 8 years 4 months ago #27949

Hi Lakshmi,
Did they ask you to reverse park?

DMV Road Test - Need Info 8 years 4 months ago #27952

Does anyone know, car driving schools here in Raleigh.

DMV Road Test - Need Info 7 years 6 months ago #29099

Need the information ....
I got the learner permit. Which could be the easiest DMV in NC to pass the road test ???? Please suggest me regarding this

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds