• Page:

TOPIC: Flax seeds - need your views

Flax seeds - need your views 14 years 5 months ago #3948

• Rima
  • Rima's Avatar Topic Author
Hello,

How many of you use Flax seeds? I heard flax seeds are very good source of fiber and rich in Omega 3 fatty acids.

Can any one tell me how to use these flax seeds in Indian style so that it is easy to eat with our regular food?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Flax seeds - need your views 14 years 5 months ago #3963

Rima wrote:

Hello,

How many of you use Flax seeds? I heard flax seeds are very good source of fiber and rich in Omega 3 fatty acids.

Can any one tell me how to use these flax seeds in Indian style so that it is easy to eat with our regular food?

I regularly use Flax seed in diet...It was first introduced to me by one of the local retired doctor..I was amazed to know that Flax seed is nothing but "Alsi" which we regularly ate back in India...My mother used to give me Kashaya/Kadha made with Flax seed and I never liked it...I never knew how important it is for health.

Here you get regular flax seed and golden flax seed. In India I have seen only regular one which is dark brown in color.It is available in any grocery store near flour section.I buy Flaxseed meal which is coarsely ground powder.

Mainly I use in roti,paratha..few times I made chutney and I am in the process of getting one very traditional dish recipe which is made in North Karnataka...more details about use I will give later.

Why you should eat flax seed :- (below are my experienced benefits of flaxseed)
1) Use regularly in your diet and reduce cholesterol in just 15-20 days.
2) Get complete relief from tough cough.
3) Helps constipation problems
4) Good for womens health.

For rest several uses google and read.

Re:Flax seeds - need your views 14 years 5 months ago #3986

Don't know exactly about Flax seed in diet or the health benefits mentioned but have been a regular consumer of Flax Seed Oil - it's supposed to be a good lubricant for your bones esp when you are a marathoner and/or triathlete :)

I would be interested in Flax Seeds recipes and also where you can find/buy Flax seeds over here.

Have been a quinoa fan for a while.

Re:Flax seeds - need your views 14 years 5 months ago #4001

sanjus wrote:

Don't know exactly about Flax seed in diet or the health benefits mentioned but have been a regular consumer of Flax Seed Oil - it's supposed to be a good lubricant for your bones esp when you are a marathoner and/or triathlete :)

I would be interested in Flax Seeds recipes and also where you can find/buy Flax seeds over here.

Have been a quinoa fan for a while.

Sanjus...you will get flax seed meal in any grocery store like harris teeter/food lion/lowes..check near flour section..If you want more choice then visit whole food store.

Enriching your daily roti/chapati is the best way to consume flax seed. I add 1/4 cup flax seed meal for three cup wheat flour and also add 2 Tb.spoon soy flour. (have three times a week at least)

Secondly when you make various lentil dals just add 1 Tb.spoon flax seed meal.

Sometimes I add in Upama...but for that I suggest you to keep golden flax seed to avoid messing up real food color appearance...attaching one picture which I had taken in 2008. Even in roti you can use golden instead of regular flax seed meal which will keep roti color just as regular.

Re:Flax seeds - need your views 14 years 5 months ago #4007

very gud..lady from cary..:-) bravo
i use flax seed oil for the family too..whole foods has some of the best ones but a litta pricy though

guess we can just mix n match to chk out if the food adds up some extra kick to it:-)

tc

Re:Flax seeds - need your views 14 years 5 months ago #4012

lfc - truly humbled with your efforts taken to put (or rather find) everything in one picture.

seems like our old time tested, simple meals are still the most healthiest choice - upama has been an all time favorite!

what are the thoughts on coconut water tetra packs - suddenly they are becoming the new fad - atleast the ingredients are all natural and pure unlike most of the other juices which are either made from concentrate or corn-syrup sugar laden :)

Re:Flax seeds - need your views 14 years 5 months ago #4014

• Rima
LFC,

Thanks for the reply. You are sure a very nice person. your picture says that you are a very good cook. :)

Re:Flax seeds - need your views 14 years 5 months ago #4015

WOW Yummmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

:woohoo: i want to taste upma now... feeling very very hungry after seeing the pic...

Re:Flax seeds - need your views 14 years 5 months ago #4019

LFC,There you Go again, "Recipe with Pics", which will tempt us to leave AT and go to kitchen to cook.
Admins, take note of LFC, she is tempting us with food recipes with pics, and making us leave the site :)

LFC, thanks again for the Flax seeds knowledge and recipes...
Looks soo yummy
I will certainly go get Flax seeds, to put it in roti,dhal and upma

Admins, LFC has posted soo many recipes on this website, it seemed tough to compile it and see it.can you somehow, put it together, so that we can see all at once, save time in searching for yummy recipes

Re:Flax seeds - need your views 14 years 5 months ago #4028

Shree,

Click Here for the link where you find all the recipes.

If you find any other recipes in the forums, please do let us know. We will add those recipes too in the list.

Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

Re:Flax seeds - need your views 14 years 5 months ago #4032

Sri,Ranjitha Thanks.

@ Rima, Good that you started this thread..one should quickly enrich their diet with flaxseed.

@Sanju, It is always better to use flaxseeds in regular day to day cooking dishes rather than hunting for all fancy Flaxseed enriched products in supermarkets.We have plenty of choice in our variety of Desi food.

I don't drink any of the ready made juices..I am sensitive for sour things and little consumption harms my balance..Orange juice is so commonly consumed in America but nobody is aware that people suffering from acidity should strictly avoid it...even milk is bad. Only juice I can drink and tolerate is pineapple. Coconut water is good choice but it should not be used as replacement for water..one should drink it moderately. I do grab few packs during Indian grocery shopping.

@ Shree...I am glad that you got tempted to cook..Now on I will use that thread to bring all cooking posts together.

@Roopa..thanks for bringing that up...I think tofu one can be added.

Re:Flax seeds - need your views 14 years 1 week ago #6447

• Rima
I went to sams club and was surpirse to see the Flax seed flour. I got it and I use it in Chapatis. The instuction on it said you can use it in pan cakes. So I think we can add it to our regular idli,dosas too. :)

Re:Flax seeds - need your views 14 years 1 week ago #6464

Hi Rima...nice to see you back....I didn't know sams club sells flax seed meal..must be more reasonable than other shops.

Once you are using in Roti then it is fine...why use in idli? Dosa is ok..this is my liking..but one can use in any dish as it suits them...Did you check Kubi's flax seed chutney recipe in blog?

Few days back I made eggless mini cakes by using Flax seed meal...I mixed 1 tbspoon powder in little water and boiled it..it created slimy liquid...that acted good as substitute to egg...Also I replaced all purpose flour with singada flour+rice flour...Cake was delicious!! :)

Rima wrote:

I went to sams club and was surpirse to see the Flax seed flour. I got it and I use it in Chapatis. The instuction on it said you can use it in pan cakes. So I think we can add it to our regular idli,dosas too. :)

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds