TOPIC: Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale

Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3164

• B
  • B's Avatar Topic Author
Friends,

Anyone of you know about the Diwali specials in Indian grocery stores?

Maannnnnnnn!! These stores are minting money. The Grocery stores in the different states have very good sale. Why not here in Triangle?

I came to know through my friends that in NJ,MI,KY everywhere they have 50% off Daals and other stuff on sale. I do not know about Triangle.

Please share your views.

Thanks
B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3166

• A
  • A's Avatar Topic Author
B,

Sale and Indian Store....I never heard anything like that. I can expect Indian stores to raise prices on Diwali also be careful of out of date stuff.

A

B wrote:

Friends,

Anyone of you know about the Diwali specials in Indian grocery stores?

Maannnnnnnn!! These stores are minting money. The Grocery stores in the different states have very good sale. Why not here in Triangle?

I came to know through my friends that in NJ,MI,KY everywhere they have 50% off Daals and other stuff on sale. I do not know about Triangle.

Please share your views.

Thanks
B

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3170

But i remember during February and march, there was some discount coupon on Apna Triangle. I don't know if someone has seen it and remembers.

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3176

• A
Going to Indian grocery stores is waste of time....coupans...probably expired ones...hahah

A

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3185

B....Last year Patel brothers gave few good deals on Dals,rice and few small items..I have to check this years deals.

I visited Around the World on Thursday and they have few good deals..I got 4 pound rice flour,Besan for just 2$...Also on 75 $ bill you get one stainless steel dabba Free and for 100$ you will get one big thali free.

Check with these two shops there are deals...don't know about other shops.

Why don't Grocery shops post Diwali deals on Apnatriangle?

:) I want to share this Baingan Deal with you all...Last week I visited Triangle Indian market for regular grocery and I was amazed to see 5 variety of Egg plants, picked fresh in the morning from local farmers...I could not stop myself from capturing its beauty...Have a look.

Attachments:

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3225

A - how come going to Indian Grocery store is waste of time? Care to explain - looks like you have an opinion on almost all the topics posted on AT ;)

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3228

• shree1205
  • shree1205's Avatar Topic Author
Satish,
you have done great job s far inbringing the information around triangle together.
Why don't you ask all indian stores/ Indian restaurants around the triangle to put up their specials sale/ food of diwali in one section, so we can stop wasting time going from one store to another, and hunting diwali sweets from one restaurant to another.

I don't agree with A, that going to indian store is waste of time. What does he have to cook without indian groceries.Even Local people come and get something now a days.

LFC,
I like the way you "present" your views.taking photgrapht is another art.
DO you have recipes blogs?

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3234

Sri,

We have spoken to couple of grocery stores about sales and we did not get information from them. We will try again and ask whether they have any Diwali sales.

We will do the same for restaurants.

Thanks
Satish

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3235

• A
Sanjus,

I have an opinion on almost every topic on AT as well all topics around the world. However my opinion changes with time and information. I beleive goign to Indian Grocery stores is waste of time for the following reasons:-

1. The terrible smell in the Indian Grocery stores make me sick and I sneeze a lot.
2. No carts in the Indian stores that makes it hard to shop.
3. All Grocery stores with the exception of 'Around the World' are small and lanes are narrow and hence it is hard to navigate.
4. I can never find the 'Expiry Dates' on the product they sell. If there is an Expiry Dates, most of the time I see that product has already expired and should not be sold.
5. Prices are entered manually in 21st Centuray (Exception is probably Around the World).
6. I cannot locate items that I need and there is no one to help.
7. You see 5 people in the payment area where one is working and other four watch. These other four can help customers to locate items.
8. Most of the time they play songs that I don't like.
9. Customer service is poor. Person at checkout counter does not even say HI. American Store, they greet you with a smile and ask "did you find everything that you need". In Indian store, you are hold several pounds in handheld cart(as there is no moving cart) and then you see one person working and four watching and when you eventually it is your turn you find an unfriendly (almost hostile) checkout person who will manually enter your prices.
10. DVDs are pirated and prints are terrible.
11.There is no way you can return something even it is bad.
12. Here is the claassic:- Several time they charge extra as if we don't know and several times the price written on the item and price entered is diffrent. Take calculator with you and add stuff before reaching checkout counter. Compare both numbers.

Sanjus:- Do you need more reasons?

Unfortunately my wife loves Indian food and hence we have to do Indian groceries. She goes to Indians store only when it is absolutely necessary. My deal with my wife - she does Indian groceries (may be once in three months) and in return I have to clean house, clean bathroom, do laundry AND DISHES everyday.

A

sanjus wrote:

A - how come going to Indian Grocery store is waste of time? Care to explain - looks like you have an opinion on almost all the topics posted on AT ;)

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3267

Thanks for taking the time to explain your point of view - let me add some salt, pepper & spice to your comments & nothing personal :)

BTW, my name is Sanju - I'll see if i can change my screen name. I like people to know me by name rather than hiding behind no-name IDs.

>> 1. The terrible smell in the Indian Grocery stores make me sick and I sneeze a lot.
Well aren't you generalizing here? Not all IG stores smell terrible. Have you been to Apna Bazaar or Around the World (ATW) - seems you are already considering that an exception? I have been here in town for last 2 months or so, but these stores seems to be more than a decent place. My sympathies for your sneezing - but I sneeze a lot during fall/spring - blame it on pollens - does that mean the parks, the hiking trails and other outdoors are terrible? Don't blame the stores for your weaker body immune system.

>>2. No carts in the Indian stores that makes it hard to shop.
>>3. All Grocery stores with the exception of 'Around the World' are small and lanes are narrow and hence it is hard to navigate.
Again, it all depends on the size of the store. Go visit ATW/AB for that matter. Don't you think the store owners who have invested so much in their store would care for their customers, if they see customers really buying that much stuff at a time?

>>4. I can never find the 'Expiry Dates' on the product they sell. If there is an Expiry Dates, most of the time I see that product has already expired and should not be sold.
As a good samaritan - don't you think it's your duty to alert/warn the store owner on the expired stuff? If the practice of selling expired goods still continues, there are laws in this country. Just file a complaint with the local city officials and they'll take care of it. It's very easy to whine about the filth but someone has to take action & clean it up!

>>5. Prices are entered manually in 21st Centuray (Exception is probably Around the World).
So what's the big deal? Remember the Indian population explosion in this country happened because of Y2K. Talk to Indians who have stayed here longer and if they had the convenience of IG stores.

>>6. I cannot locate items that I need and there is no one to help.
>>7. You see 5 people in the payment area where one is working and other four watch. These other four can help customers to locate items.
Why don't you talk to the cashier/owner/manager of the store? I am sure they'll listen to you. Why so much ego?

>>8. Most of the time they play songs that I don't like.
Isn't that a ridiculous statement? I don't like the songs/music played by Starbucks or for that matter any American store. I carry my own iPod - problem solved :)

>>9. Customer service is poor. Person at checkout counter does not even say HI. American Store, they greet you with a smile and ask "did you find everything that you need"....
How many times have you greeted other Indians that you don't know? There's some culture difference. Not many of the people working in the IG store have been around that long in this country to open up to strangers.

>>10. DVDs are pirated and prints are terrible.
If selling/renting pirated DVD's is a crime so is renting/buying of pirated dvd is a crime. Why don't you just lodge a complain with the local city officials about the piracy - I am sure they'll take action.

>>11.There is no way you can return something even it is bad
>>12. Here is the claassic:- Several time they charge extra as if we don't know and several times the price written on the item and price entered is diffrent. Take calculator with you and add stuff before reaching checkout counter. Compare both numbers.
If something is bad and if the store owner does not take it back, you have the right to complain to local authorities that have issued business license - just lodge a complain with the local city officials.

It seems like rather than having some genuine opinions/concerns - there's lot of *whining* in your statements - grow-up.

-sanju

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3272

• A
Hi Sanju,

1. How come American grocery stores don't have smell? Why it is not genunine concern?
2. Why 'No carts' is not genuinie issue?
3. Why out of date mateiral is not genuine? You are proposing to report to authority. If it not real issue why would you suggest me to report to authoirties?
4. Why price mistmatch is not real? Again you are proposing to report to authority. So you agree if it is an issue it is real.
5. DVD pircary is crime.

Sanju, I state my opinion based on the facts I know.I am not looking for an agreement from you. You may think it is 'whining' but I feel bad that Indian stores are run as they run in a village of India. In Delhi, the shopping is fun even for groceries.

A

sanjus wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to explain your point of view - let me add some salt, pepper & spice to your comments & nothing personal :)

BTW, my name is Sanju - I'll see if i can change my screen name. I like people to know me by name rather than hiding behind no-name IDs.

>> 1. The terrible smell in the Indian Grocery stores make me sick and I sneeze a lot.
Well aren't you generalizing here? Not all IG stores smell terrible. Have you been to Apna Bazaar or Around the World (ATW) - seems you are already considering that an exception? I have been here in town for last 2 months or so, but these stores seems to be more than a decent place. My sympathies for your sneezing - but I sneeze a lot during fall/spring - blame it on pollens - does that mean the parks, the hiking trails and other outdoors are terrible? Don't blame the stores for your weaker body immune system.

>>2. No carts in the Indian stores that makes it hard to shop.
>>3. All Grocery stores with the exception of 'Around the World' are small and lanes are narrow and hence it is hard to navigate.
Again, it all depends on the size of the store. Go visit ATW/AB for that matter. Don't you think the store owners who have invested so much in their store would care for their customers, if they see customers really buying that much stuff at a time?

>>4. I can never find the 'Expiry Dates' on the product they sell. If there is an Expiry Dates, most of the time I see that product has already expired and should not be sold.
As a good samaritan - don't you think it's your duty to alert/warn the store owner on the expired stuff? If the practice of selling expired goods still continues, there are laws in this country. Just file a complaint with the local city officials and they'll take care of it. It's very easy to whine about the filth but someone has to take action & clean it up!

>>5. Prices are entered manually in 21st Centuray (Exception is probably Around the World).
So what's the big deal? Remember the Indian population explosion in this country happened because of Y2K. Talk to Indians who have stayed here longer and if they had the convenience of IG stores.

>>6. I cannot locate items that I need and there is no one to help.
>>7. You see 5 people in the payment area where one is working and other four watch. These other four can help customers to locate items.
Why don't you talk to the cashier/owner/manager of the store? I am sure they'll listen to you. Why so much ego?

>>8. Most of the time they play songs that I don't like.
Isn't that a ridiculous statement? I don't like the songs/music played by Starbucks or for that matter any American store. I carry my own iPod - problem solved :)

>>9. Customer service is poor. Person at checkout counter does not even say HI. American Store, they greet you with a smile and ask "did you find everything that you need"....
How many times have you greeted other Indians that you don't know? There's some culture difference. Not many of the people working in the IG store have been around that long in this country to open up to strangers.

>>10. DVDs are pirated and prints are terrible.
If selling/renting pirated DVD's is a crime so is renting/buying of pirated dvd is a crime. Why don't you just lodge a complain with the local city officials about the piracy - I am sure they'll take action.

>>11.There is no way you can return something even it is bad
>>12. Here is the claassic:- Several time they charge extra as if we don't know and several times the price written on the item and price entered is diffrent. Take calculator with you and add stuff before reaching checkout counter. Compare both numbers.
If something is bad and if the store owner does not take it back, you have the right to complain to local authorities that have issued business license - just lodge a complain with the local city officials.

It seems like rather than having some genuine opinions/concerns - there's lot of *whining* in your statements - grow-up.

-sanju

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3279

shree1205 wrote:

Satish,
you have done great job s far inbringing the information around triangle together.
Why don't you ask all indian stores/ Indian restaurants around the triangle to put up their specials sale/ food of diwali in one section, so we can stop wasting time going from one store to another, and hunting diwali sweets from one restaurant to another.

I don't agree with A, that going to indian store is waste of time. What does he have to cook without indian groceries.Even Local people come and get something now a days.

LFC,
I like the way you "present" your views.taking photgrapht is another art.
DO you have recipes blogs?

Shree...thanks.Yes, I do have..soon I will be sharing with AT members who are interested to take a tour around my virtual kitchen. :)

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3284

LFC,

I love to take a real tour. Chalo, we will start with a virtual tour. Just kidding..I will be interested to see your skills in creating a virtual kitchen.

This also reminds of a joke by hasya kavi - 'If you dont get what you want, then you should be happy with what you have!!'.

Thanks
Satish

Lady_from_cary wrote:

Shree...thanks.Yes, I do have..soon I will be sharing with AT members who are interested to take a tour around my virtual kitchen. :)

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3286

Thanks Satish for posting Apna bazzar post.... we will visit it soon
LFC, waiting to see your blog soon..

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3293

>>1. How come American grocery stores don't have smell? Why it is not genunine concern?
I don't know which IG store you visit & are talking about the smell, the IG stores we go to are nice, clean & well kept. Maybe you should try some of the franchises instead. Most of the stuff they get nowadays are already prepacked so where's the question of the smell?

>>2. Why 'No carts' is not genuinie issue?
It all depends on the size of the store. You don't need carts in 7/11 stores.

>>4. Why price mistmatch is not real? Again you are proposing to report to authority. So you agree if it is an issue it is real.
Even the so called American grocery stores have price mismatches & you have to bring it to their attention.

>>3. Why out of date mateiral is not genuine? You are proposing to report to authority. If it not real issue why would you suggest me to report to authoirties?
What i said, read my comments properly, if they continue the same practices after bringing it to their attention, there are laws in this country to protect consumer rights and you can complain it to local authorities.

>>5. DVD pircary is crime.
I never said it's not a crime - both parties are criminal - don't just blame the IG store. People who are renting/buying are equally to be blamed.

Lets base our opinions based on recent facts rather than hearsay or lifting some scenes straight out of some 90's movies.

>>>I feel bad that Indian stores are run as they run in a village of India. In Delhi, the shopping is fun even for groceries.

Now, you are really A-BCD ;) - unless you are comparing you mall/supermarket shopping experience from Delhi - i don't see how you can compare IG stores from 2 different regions functioning in different economies, different cultures and all that.

As mentioned earlier, I think you should accompany your wife to an IG store (AWT, AB) and just stroll down the isles while she's shopping for you. There are stuff over there which will take you down your childhood memory lane - atleast, I have seen some of the stuff from my childhood days like the soap bars, the hair oil, bournvita/horlicks and many many more.

And, BTW, if the cashier does not say HI to you, you can start the conversation with a Hello or Namaste with that person - I am sure s/he will reciprocate.

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3295

• A
Sanju,

In all honesty, I tried my best to find out something in your reply on which I can argue but I could not. I read your reply three times to find "something" on which I can argue but your post is perfect. The only thing I can reply - I agree with you. Good job. It is the first time that I cannot argue over soemthing.

A

sanjus wrote:

>>1. How come American grocery stores don't have smell? Why it is not genunine concern?
I don't know which IG store you visit & are talking about the smell, the IG stores we go to are nice, clean & well kept. Maybe you should try some of the franchises instead. Most of the stuff they get nowadays are already prepacked so where's the question of the smell?

>>2. Why 'No carts' is not genuinie issue?
It all depends on the size of the store. You don't need carts in 7/11 stores.

>>4. Why price mistmatch is not real? Again you are proposing to report to authority. So you agree if it is an issue it is real.
Even the so called American grocery stores have price mismatches & you have to bring it to their attention.

>>3. Why out of date mateiral is not genuine? You are proposing to report to authority. If it not real issue why would you suggest me to report to authoirties?
What i said, read my comments properly, if they continue the same practices after bringing it to their attention, there are laws in this country to protect consumer rights and you can complain it to local authorities.

>>5. DVD pircary is crime.
I never said it's not a crime - both parties are criminal - don't just blame the IG store. People who are renting/buying are equally to be blamed.

Lets base our opinions based on recent facts rather than hearsay or lifting some scenes straight out of some 90's movies.

>>>I feel bad that Indian stores are run as they run in a village of India. In Delhi, the shopping is fun even for groceries.

Now, you are really A-BCD ;) - unless you are comparing you mall/supermarket shopping experience from Delhi - i don't see how you can compare IG stores from 2 different regions functioning in different economies, different cultures and all that.

As mentioned earlier, I think you should accompany your wife to an IG store (AWT, AB) and just stroll down the isles while she's shopping for you. There are stuff over there which will take you down your childhood memory lane - atleast, I have seen some of the stuff from my childhood days like the soap bars, the hair oil, bournvita/horlicks and many many more.

And, BTW, if the cashier does not say HI to you, you can start the conversation with a Hello or Namaste with that person - I am sure s/he will reciprocate.

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3296

Shree and Satish...thanks. Not much skills just recipes with few pictures..If recipes are too boring then you will atleast enjoy pictures...Go ahead and check your messages.

Shree1205 wrote :

Thanks Satish for posting Apna bazzar post.... we will visit it soon
LFC, waiting to see your blog soon..

satish wrote:

LFC,

I love to take a real tour. Chalo, we will start with a virtual tour. Just kidding..I will be interested to see your skills in creating a virtual kitchen.

This also reminds of a joke by hasya kavi - 'If you dont get what you want, then you should be happy with what you have!!'.

Thanks
Satish

Lady_from_cary wrote:

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3299

I visit a store to buys essentials, have a list ready, pick up, pay at the counter and exit. Wish it was like that - a mechanical affair. I also look for a shopping experience. I am an ordinary person so do I expect ordinary courtesies that are by now established standards all over in good businesses. If I feel there is rudeness or lack of courtesy, I will simply not visit that store ever again. Period.It won't make a difference either to me or to the business of the store.

Re:Indian Grocery stores - Diwali sale 14 years 5 months ago #3305

• A
Ashok,

I avoid Indian Groceries stores. I think I went 5 years back to Around the World and recently I went to Apna Bazar and came out within a second. Some people said it is good, the Apna Bazar also stink and cashier was rude.

I say Hi to all Indians and try to talk and do the same with cashiers but mostly it is waste of time. I don't want to get depressed.

Complaining to authoirites about price mismatch and outdated good is not my style and I would rather think about good things around.

But nevertheless I gave up on this discussion to Sanju because the post was very well written and I don't have strong argmunents for not complaining to authorities.

A

ashok wrote:

I visit a store to buys essentials, have a list ready, pick up, pay at the counter and exit. Wish it was like that - a mechanical affair. I also look for a shopping experience. I am an ordinary person so do I expect ordinary courtesies that are by now established standards all over in good businesses. If I feel there is rudeness or lack of courtesy, I will simply not visit that store ever again. Period.It won't make a difference either to me or to the business of the store.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds