TOPIC: No filing of tax returns if salary is only income

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11010

• A
  • A's Avatar Topic Author
Manoj,

Okay. Thanks. I personally know someone who will benefit from this discussion.

Manoj wrote:

A wrote:

Fave5,

Six months is the key word here. Immigration officer on airport never issues stay for more than six months on a visitor visa. If you know otherwise, let me know.

Nothing stops them from coming back!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11011

• Manoj
  • Manoj's Avatar Topic Author
A wrote:

Manoj,

I agree about potential fraud. I personally do not have parents to support but it is a major expense for a number of people I know. They cannot bring their parents here for more than 3 months or max 6 months.

That's their problem. They don't have to come to USA. If you come to USA, follow the rules of the land.

About expecting everyone else to share burden, well there are some people with 5 or 6 children, do you want a cap on that?

That has been accepted by the society. It's an act of congress. Ever heard of Alt. Min Tax which limits the tax exemptions claimed by people with more children? So, there is already a cap on that.

People who have more money and resources, those are ones who pay least tax. There are many loop holes for a businessman to avoid paying tax, none for a salaried employee.

A lot of people who hate rich say that. If you make more money, you have to pay more taxes, or claim exemptions allowed under the law. Otherwise you are breaking the law and if caught, you'll pay fine and/or go to jail.

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11012

• Manoj
Fave5 wrote:

"on paper family" - well said!

Although, now that the GCs are not being processed by majority of the employers (atleast in the IT Sector), the H1 immigrants still continue to contribute social security from payroll which for most of them are not going to avail any SS benefits after retirements or for that matter unemployment benefits as well.

Isn't that a disparity?

Tell them not to come to USA. simple na!!

or write to your congressman to bring a bill to refund social security taxes, when this person permanently leaves USA. very simple na!!

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11016

• A
I agree with Fave5. It is disparity.

Manoj, we have not lived in the USA long enough to ignore our roots and our people. May be we will start thinking like you after a few more years.

About your other message, I do not hate anyone. It is an observations that salaried people have to pay tax religiously and business owners can get away with a lot of things e.g. cash transactions, deductions on numerous expenses that are not really work related. Some of them do go to jail when caught...but how many are caught...

Manoj wrote:

Fave5 wrote:

"on paper family" - well said!

Although, now that the GCs are not being processed by majority of the employers (atleast in the IT Sector), the H1 immigrants still continue to contribute social security from payroll which for most of them are not going to avail any SS benefits after retirements or for that matter unemployment benefits as well.

Isn't that a disparity?

Tell them not to come to USA. simple na!!

or write to your congressman to bring a bill to refund social security taxes, when this person permanently leaves USA. very simple na!!

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11017

• Manoj
A wrote:

We Indians should not be lecturing Americans on subject of disparity, when there is plenty where we came from. if we disagree with anything, just call the congressman. vent your displeasure.

Manoj, we have not lived in the USA long enough to ignore our roots and our people. May be we will start thinking like you after a few more years.

think smart like me? never

About your other message, I do not hate anyone. It is an observations that salaried people have to pay tax religiously and business owners can get away with a lot of things e.g. cash transactions, deductions on numerous expenses that are not really work related. Some of them do go to jail when caught...but how many are caught...

No one will admit to hating.

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11018

• Manoj Fan
  • Manoj Fan's Avatar Topic Author
Very informative inputs on tax matters and above all Manoj Sir has illuminated the discussions with his witty observations. It is really a great fun and delight.

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11019

• A
Manoj,

Why not compare with Libya or Jordon? Everyone will be always happy.

I do not admit to hating because I do not. Most of the time they come to internet to say what they hate.

'Thinking Smart' is good idea but definition of smart is different. For me paying less tax is thinking smart.

I guess this discussion has ended...we need a new topic...if no other topic comes up..

Manoj wrote:

A wrote:

We Indians should not be lecturing Americans on subject of disparity, when there is plenty where we came from. if we disagree with anything, just call the congressman. vent your displeasure.

think smart like me? never

No one will admit to hating.

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11022

• Fave5
  • Fave5's Avatar Topic Author
someone's been hiding - peek-a-boo ;)

Manoj Fan wrote:

Very informative inputs on tax matters and above all Manoj Sir has illuminated the discussions with his witty observations. It is really a great fun and delight.

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11023

• Manoj Fan
Fave5 wrote:

someone's been hiding - peek-a-boo ;)

Manoj Fan wrote:

Fave5,

I am not in hiding et all, infact I don't write on issues that I don't know much but I followed the discussions very keenly and above all enjoyed Manoj ji's very practical comments. Indeed, he is a great asset to the forums. I am sure in 2011, we shall all vote for Manoj Sir to be AT person of the year. Moderators, hope you are listening err reading...

A,

Please do not unilaterally end the discussions...let us wait for your favorite - Mia... :)

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11024

• Manoj
A wrote:

Manoj,

you could. I do not know much about these places.

So, what have you done to fight this disparity? Maybe you should find and join a facebook group. That will send them a message ... LOL

Like I said, you would never admit to hating, and you are doing exactly that.

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11025

• Fave5
  • Fave5's Avatar Topic Author
you can still bowl a googly now and then to keep the topic more interesting :)

Manoj Fan wrote:

I am not in hiding et all, infact I don't write on issues that I don't know much ...

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11027

• A
Manoj,

I hate corruption. I admit it. Your Facebook comment reminded me something. If you (or anyone else) like, you can join the following (Dandi March in the USA Against Corruption in India):

www.sify.com/news/now-dandi-march-in-us-against-corruption-in-india-news-international-ldck3Mchbee.html

Manoj wrote:

A wrote:

Manoj,

you could. I do not know much about these places.

So, what have you done to fight this disparity? Maybe you should find and join a facebook group. That will send them a message ... LOL

Like I said, you would never admit to hating, and you are doing exactly that.

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11028

• Manoj Fan
A wrote:

Manoj,

I hate corruption. I admit it. Your Facebook comment reminded me something. If you (or anyone else) like, you can join the following (Dandi March in the USA Against Corruption in India):

www.sify.com/news/now-dandi-march-in-us-against-corruption-in-india-news-international-ldck3Mchbee.html

President Obama speaks so high about India and admires Gandhi. The Americans by & large view India and Indians favorably. For NRI's to organize a Dandi March in US against corruption in India is a good step in promoting ourselves on the world stage. Some successful and well known NRI's have donated to their alma-maters, villages & Non profits and here is an example of few who have come up with a good idea to give back to their country. Come on guys, if you are so concerned about corruption then take a chartered flight to India, organize a Dandi march from a Delhi slum to Parliament House and take a flight back to your US of A but some of us have a habit of doing tamasha's every where we go..so be it. Anyway, 'A' are you joining the march ? If so, do share the highlights..:)

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11029

• Manoj Fan
A wrote:

Manoj,

President Obama speaks so high about India and admires Gandhi. The Americans by & large view India and Indians favorably. For NRI's to organize a Dandi March in US against corruption in India is a good step in promoting ourselves on the world stage. Some successful and well known NRI's have donated to their alma-maters, villages & Non profits and here is an example of few who have come up with a good idea to give back to their country. Come on guys, if you are so concerned about corruption then take a chartered flight to India, organize a Dandi march from a Delhi slum to Parliament House and take a flight back to your US of A but some of us have a habit of doing tamasha's every where we go..so be it. Anyway, 'A' are you joining the march ? If so, do share the highlights..:)

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11030

• Manoj Fan
A wrote:

Manoj,

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11031

• A
Manoj's Fan

I am not sure if you are speaking good or bad about this. But if you are critical about it, let me tell one thing, you are the one who always advices people to do something about corruption, world hunger, earthquake...so did you take a flight to these areas? If you cannot do anything, do not be critical.

I had earlier said, not many NRIs will fly back and that is expected. So you do whatever you can do remotely. Here is something going on in India (with the support of people all around the world)

ibnlive.in.com/generalnewsfeed/news/pm-invites-hazare-to-delhi-for-discussion-on-lokpal-bill/596210.html

Manoj Fan wrote:

A wrote:

Manoj,

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11033

• Manoj
A wrote:

Manoj,

Every major city in USA, 10 major cities in India and 8 other countries globally join the movement by organizing supporting events March 26, the organisers said.

A,
I am not going, but considering your passion for movement against corruption, I am sure you are actually going there and not just joining some list online. :)

Re:No filing of tax returns if salary is only income 13 years 3 weeks ago #11035

• A
Manoj,

Yes. I am planning this trip right now. It might give me some insight into the effectiveness.

But in all honesty, I have several friends/family in that area that I want to meet. So I have more than one purpose for this trip. It would not make sense if I tell about a trip for 'Against Corruption' and do not tell the whole truth....you pick an appropriate English word for that..

I do not believe anyone out of town will go there.

Manoj wrote:
A,
I am not going, but considering your passion for movement against corruption, I am sure you are actually going there and not just joining some list online. :)[/quote]

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds