• Page:

TOPIC: ATnt Vs Time Warner

ATnt Vs Time Warner 13 years 2 months ago #10640

• Kiran
  • Kiran's Avatar Topic Author
Hi all at AT,

We have just recently moved in NC. and are a but confused with selecting the internet service provider.

Is $34.95 a reasonable price per month for internet service ?
atnt is bit cheap if you bundle with home phone.
but we have Ooma home phone line. so whether it's time warner or atnt it;s the same price £34.95.

ATnt doesn't even provide a modem for free - it cost extra $75.
and time warner has $42 activation fee !
and then i hear people complaining about time warner and atnt not providing good service as they share it with the neighbouring flats/streets.

Internet is a necessity in todays world - any suggestion if i can find a cheaper reliable option.
do you have any other service provider like ooma for internet connection as well ?

thanks,
- Kiran.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:ATnt Vs Time Warner 13 years 2 months ago #10653

Hi Kiran,

I have Time warner and I am not really happy with them. I had lot of issues with the connection and my calls use to drop in less than 2 mins last month. My phone service provider is vonage. Initially I was thinking that it is Vonage problem and later I realized that it was modem from Time warner. Today, since afternoon I had no internet,no phone and I felt like my life is still. I am planning to switch to AT & T. I wish someone will talk about AT&T.

Thanks

Re:ATnt Vs Time Warner 13 years 2 months ago #10658

• Fave5
  • Fave5's Avatar Topic Author
Hi Kubi,

If i am reading your post correctly, then you seem to be *unhappy* with TW service. In this country where consumers have more power, i am surprised you have still not dumped them to make your point. once you dump them and let them know that you are swtiching to ATT for their poor service, then they'll come begging for your business (based on my personal experience). Once I dumped TWC to switch to ATT Uverse - i used to get calls almost everyday from TWC on how they can earn my biz back.

Anyways, there are 3/4 choices you have:
1. TWC - stay with them even if you are not happy with their service - again your choice.
2. ATT/DSL
3. ATT/Uverse (FibreOptic) - relatively expensive but depends on your bandwidth requirements.
4. Verizon/FIOS - i am not sure if this service is available in our area as yet.

Most of the services now have a month-to-month contract - there are some initial installation costs involved but it's not worth the frustration of not having internet access in this internet-age. And you might be able to talk to a rep to get away/waiver the installation charges.

Again, as a consumer the choice is ours whom we want to give our biz.

kubi wrote:

Hi Kiran,

I have Time warner and I am not really happy with them. I had lot of issues with the connection and my calls use to drop in less than 2 mins last month. My phone service provider is vonage. Initially I was thinking that it is Vonage problem and later I realized that it was modem from Time warner. Today, since afternoon I had no internet,no phone and I felt like my life is still. I am planning to switch to AT & T. I wish someone will talk about AT&T.

Thanks

Re:ATnt Vs Time Warner 13 years 2 months ago #10660

Kiran, I would say 'go' for ATT...no contact, good speed & less price.

See this thread for more info.... www.apnatriangle.com/General/10480-Internet-Speed

Re:ATnt Vs Time Warner 13 years 2 months ago #10667

• Kiran
  • Kiran's Avatar Topic Author
Hi kkunchakuri,

How does ATT work out cheap for you ?
For 6 mbps speed both Time warner and ATT charge $ 34.95.
and ATT doesn't even provide a free modem - they charge you $75 extra.

- Kiran

Re:ATnt Vs Time Warner 13 years 2 months ago #10668

• AA
  • AA's Avatar Topic Author
"Fave5 wrote:

Hi Kubi,If i am reading your post correctly, then you seem to be *unhappy* with TW service. In this country where consumers have more power, i am surprised you have still not dumped them to make your point."

Hi Fave5,

I've come from Dubai and I dont agree with you that in this country consumers have mnore power. Indeed in my area, I don't any choice but to stay with Progress energy for Electricity when though their customer service is pathetic. Same goes with the water/sewer company. I haven't asked Verizon yet but I don't have much choice in selecting an internet provider as well. They have some monopoly of having just one provider for any particular area. so how can you dump them?

- AA

Re:ATnt Vs Time Warner 13 years 2 months ago #10669

• Fave5
Well, with utilities like power/water/sewer - if there's an issue then generally speaking the whole community/neighborhood/block has an issue - i still have to come across an incident where only an individual had an issue with such utilities. There are alway exception. And also, if I am not mistaken, aren't the utilities provider selected by state govt or something (thru tender process) - i maybe wrong though.

Unlike, internet, the same vendor's speed might be variable for different customers even though u might have signed-up for the same service and might be staying next door.

Again, I have not experienced (although, i have lived in 2 different states, 8 different cities) where I didn't had a choice for ISP. There always used to be a choice of DSL Vs Cable (at the least in last few years). In some areas you also have Satellite Internet service provider. Even in the triangle area there has been a choice (for few years now) between DSL & Cable. Add FibreOptic to the list as well.

Also, I seemed to have used wrong choice of words - it should be "consumer have more choices" instead of "consumer have more power".

AA wrote:

I've come from Dubai and I dont agree with you that in this country consumers have mnore power. Indeed in my area, I don't any choice but to stay with Progress energy for Electricity when though their customer service is pathetic. Same goes with the water/sewer company. I haven't asked Verizon yet but I don't have much choice in selecting an internet provider as well. They have some monopoly of having just one provider for any particular area. so how can you dump them?

- AA

Re:ATnt Vs Time Warner 13 years 2 months ago #10675

Kiran, yeah it worked out cheap for me. Visit any ATT store, they will help u how u can save.
If you switch from TWC, you get rewards & on modem also I got reward (i.e, I got it for free). A visit store does not harm u for sure. Good luck....

Re:ATnt Vs Time Warner 13 years 2 months ago #10709

• Fave5
I was at a friends place last night and had the same discussion on how they were frustrated with TWC poor internet service.

Aaah & also one common factor that I have been seeing (as discussed in other threads) - all of them had Netflix streaming :)

This is the deal that I got from ATT/Uverse & I believe it's still available if you order online (except for the 4 network jack installation):

1. Go online: www.att.com/u-verse/
2. Click on Shop (from the Top Orange Bar)
3. In the filter by (in mid-section) select TV & Internet & Press Go
4. Select U-family ($54) from U-verse TV
5. Select Max Turbo ($65) from U-Verse Internet
6. Select None from U-Verse Voice
7. Your Shopping Cart should display:

AT&T U-verse U-family $54.00
$25 off per month for 6 months -$25.00
HD-ready DVR Receiver $0.00
Select Additional Channels Optional
Select receivers Required
TV Subtotal $29.00

AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max Turbo $65.00
High Speed Internet Equipment Fee
What's This? $4.00
Internet Subtotal $69.00

Order online and get $50 back via promotion card.
$50 AT&T U-verse Reward Card for minimum purchase of U-family or higher TV. Offer ends 3/19/11. $50.00

Order online today and get an extra $100 back via promotion card. Limited time offer!
$100 AT&T U-verse Reward Card available to new U-verse residential customers ordering U-family TV or higher online in AL, LA, MS, NC, SC, GA, FL, TN, and KY at att.com between 2/1/11 and 2/28/11. One offer per service address. $100.00

AT&T Rewards Total $150.00

First Month Charge: $98
One-Time Charge $29.00
Total: $127
Promos: $150

After 30 days - cancel U-Verse TV

You get first month pretty much free (for Internet/TV) after rewards and 30 day cancellation. Please read the T&C (if there are any fine-prints).

After that enjoy Max-Turbo Speed internet for $69/month (upto 24Mbs).

Can't get sweeter than this if your bandwidth requirement is high and need a peace-of-mind! For an additional $30-40 bucks, you get nearly 5-6 times the current speed and awesome internet experience.

+ ATT Uverse Modem has built in Wireless modem - so no need of seperate Wi-Fi modem (sell it on CL)
+ Buy Ooma VoIP device (from Amazon or Costco) for around $200 and enjoy free VoIP for Life.
+ For India calling, use Reliance or anyother calling cards - almost all have speed-dial features & no pin to enter with crystal clear audio quality.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds