• Page:

TOPIC: Cary diwali 2009 - other discussion

Indian Restaurants :Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3354

It was a real diwali for stalls of Indian restaurants. I wish they had kept donation boxes also to fill their coffers. Wonder why these guys have no shame or conscience? I asked for a non veg plate at 'Tamarind' and got a cold plate with least possible quantity and my friend who brought a plate from Biryani House too had exactly the same experience. In sheer disgust we trashed the plates and later had our fill for the same amount at PeiWei.Come on folks make your money, we all are here for the same purpose but have some values/principles. Give the customer his due.Yesterday in the evening, I went to 'Around the World' and got 15 samasos packed but there was no 'chutni'. I was told that they don't sell chutni but I can buy a bottle from the store. I promptly returned the stuff and luckily got some hot samosas from Mithai house. So it was a great evening for these folks. I wish AT can act as a mirror to these guys so that they have a look with-in to improve/mend their ways or perish in the face of public opinion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Indian Restaurants :Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3355

• A
Indian Restaurants=Indian Groceries Stores=Cheating Houses.

Avoid at all costs. I took food from home.

A

ashok wrote:

It was a real diwali for stalls of Indian restaurants. I wish they had kept donation boxes also to fill their coffers. Wonder why these guys have no shame or conscience? I asked for a non veg plate at 'Tamarind' and got a cold plate with least possible quantity and my friend who brought a plate from Biryani House too had exactly the same experience. In sheer disgust we trashed the plates and later had our fill for the same amount at PeiWei.Come on folks make your money, we all are here for the same purpose but have some values/principles. Give the customer his due. If you can't then beg the rich indians for money and many will oblige.Yesterday in the evening, I went to 'Around the World' and got 15 samasos packed but there was no 'chutni'. I was told that they don't sell chutni but I can buy a bottle from the store. I promptly returned the stuff and luckily got some hot samosas from Mithai house. So it was a great evening for these folks. I wish AT can act as a mirror to these guys so that they have a look with-in to improve/mend their ways or perish in the face of public opinion.

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3363

I learned this lesson few years back...the only thing i liked about cary diwali (when i went there last) was food stalls, but seems they also sucked this time...

ashok wrote:

It was a boring affair. Nothing much to write about. However lesson learnt - next year will stay at home.

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3373

• KAN
Folks,

I do hear lot of trash talk. Anyone has any constructive feedback for the organizers?

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3375

• PissedOff
Dear KAN,
Please don't say criticism, as trash talk.
if you really need some suggestions for improvements , here it is:

1)Don't stick to "One State" program.It was monotonous. Instead keep exibits.last year there were variety of programs ranging from Kerala style dances to Punjabi bhangra.ThiS year except bhangra and Rajastani folk( that too repetitive songs), there was no variety.
2) While auditioning, please select programs songs, which is not repetitive.
3) Please encourage more instrumental fusion.
4) Make some arrangements a separate area, if the ppl need take pics or record. We get lawn chairs and blankets, to sit, only to get covered by ppl taking videos, clicking photos. So we din't see any program at all.
5)Cordon off area,for only blankets and chairs seating and rest for standing. It will give better view of programs

Well on +ve side,
Food arrangements were better this time
Good tent set up, to cover up from the sun for infants and elderly.

hope you take these suggestions constructively and implement them

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3377

Kan,

Have to agree with you. Simply trash talkers over here. They don't even have the guts to speak-up if they have been served poorly - they need a forum to express their frustration.

Anyways, being an event organizer myself, i'd like to congratulate the organizers for putting up the Diwali show. Since i was a first timer, i can't do any comparisons with previous years but we enjoyed it thoroughly.

It's not an easy task - the logistics, the efforts & the hard work of all the organizers, volunteers are commendable and definitely deserve a pat on the back. The traffic and the parking was managed well. However, quite a few (including us) got little lost in the dark to find the right parking lot but we made some new friends on the way back to the parking lot.

It was a nice open venue where the kids got to play freely (rather than being cramped in an indoor hall). Even though, many were standing there were enough place to sit down and enjoy the show as well. There could have been a reserved seating arrangements for seniors.

I also overheard the quality of some of the indian food stalls were not that great. However, whatever we ate it was upto the mark but the Masala Chai & the pakoras were too good & perfect compliment in the evening. Fireworks were awesome.

BTW - I got the chance to meet-up my ex-fraternity (art of living) and we were so glad that they are were there.

Although, we went in the evening, I could not have asked for more considering it was a free event. Heck sometimes even the paid events are not so well organized. Kudos to the organizer.

-sanju

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3379

• A
Orgnizers did a terrible job. Playing same song 13 times out 38 program is 'stupid' organization. People did not know where to sit. It is very poorly organied program.

Organizers did this just to be on stage.

Hard work or hardly any work....outcome shows...

Only organizers are praising themsevles and no one else. I did not hear a single compliement from anyone else.

A

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3380

sanjus wrote:

Kan,

Have to agree with you. Simply trash talkers over here. They don't even have the guts to speak-up if they have been served poorly - they need a forum to express their frustration.

-sanju

Sanju...Members have expressed their feedback..How you are stamping them as Trash Talkers? I just wonder if you were not organizer...would you still make this statement. You think this is expression of frustration?? Members wrote how generally they felt about Cary diwali...and also they must have directly talked to other organizers or people working behind event..How can you say that they just use this forum as medium? You are ignoring other positive side of this forum...There are quite few good talks too. Be fair. Cheers!! :)

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3381

Sanju,

Thanks for expressing your opinion and motivating the organizers.

I always feel that you are one of the careful guys in criticizing someone. But, I am sad to hear about your comments and generalization of the whole AT community.

As forum admins we prefer to let everyone express their view point. There are many members who have expressed the good things about the event. I try to avoid expressing my views. But, in this case I have appreciated volunteers for their hard work.

I avoid expressing my view point for 2 reasons
1. It may influence others thinking
2. People may consider it as ApnaTriangle community view point

You may not agree with some points or some individuals. Lets agree to disagree only on those points. Please do not generalize.

Thanks
Satish

sanjus wrote:

Kan,

Simply trash talkers over here. They don't even have the guts to speak-up if they have been served poorly - they need a forum to express their frustration.

-sanju

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3382

Hi Sanju,

Jai Gurudev ! You seem to follow one of the sutra's taught in the basic course of Art of Living and that is ' Accept things are they are" but there is another sutra that is taught - 'don't be a football of other people's opinion'. There is a famous quote - "Two men looked from the same window - one saw mud, other saw the star's...' In a forum like AT where there is freedom of expression there is bound to be divergent views expressed and countered but with out labelling any one. To each his own should be the approach. Due to time constraints and personal issues my participation will be now limited but I am sure the positive spirit will prevail always. Finally, it's my personal take that Art of Living teaches a good breathing technique that benefits the mind and body but beyond that it is an organization that promotes a cult culture and sweet talkers make you donate most of what you have on a list of never ending charities. I made great efforts to get a course organized in a school and got in touch with most of the teachers at Raleigh but the ''dance of breath' that followed is a different story all together. Every body in AOL behaves like Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and most of the teachers have wrecked up personal lives. But still I will say the organization is doing a great service in promoting healthy and spiritual living.

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3383

My apologies Satish & others - never meant to generalize or hurt anyone. Indeed, the reason I am still part of this forum is there's lot of constructive exchange and I definitely made some new friends because of this forum. Always proud to be an ATer.

Some of the comments made gave a very bad impression of the show and the host. Folks need to realize & respect the efforts and hardwork that go into organizing an event at such a large scale.

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3384

Sanju,

Apologies accepted. We can not build a community that expresses their thoughts freely with out working out disagreements. In fact it is not necessary for us to agree on certain points.

I request everyone to consider volunteering for a non-profit organization. I volunteered for India Fest last year. It was a great experience. Organizers spend great amount of time planing, coordinate, training and preparing for the event. It improves your leadership skills amazingly. If you can lead a volunteer (who does not get paid) to do the job then you can lead an employee (who gets paid) easily.

Thanks
Satish

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3388

• A
Sanju,

If you continue to work with Humsub, contact us next year when it is close to organization. I will give you specific feedback and ideas. I don't know a single person (non board member) who liked the prgram, food or organization.

A

sanjus wrote:

My apologies Satish & others - never meant to generalize or hurt anyone. Indeed, the reason I am still part of this forum is there's lot of constructive exchange and I definitely made some new friends because of this forum. Always proud to be an ATer.

Some of the comments made gave a very bad impression of the show and the host. Folks need to realize & respect the efforts and hardwork that go into organizing an event at such a large scale.

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3404

• A
Sanju,

I know atleast 1000 people in this area. Exclude students of NC, UNC et. I know (in fact most of us know) another person one more person. I am sure I know someone who knows you very well - it is the smae for almost every one here. I party every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I have been living in this area for 10 years now.

I know Humsub BOD members personally and few sponsors too. I thought I read that you helped this time. If you did not, don't bother- I know who to, when to and how to talk with those guys.

A

sanjus wrote:

As always, feel like ignoring your presumptive and judgmental blah blah. I never ever said i work for/with HumSub or even associated with that organization. Amazing no? You can decide for me whether i work with HumSub, i posted the ad for Help wanted and what not.

Out of the estimated thousands of people that attended, knowing that your acquaintances might not be more than few - less than 10 maybe ;) - of course you wouldn't know the likes/dislikes of the remaining - right?

anyways, since you offered to give specific feedback & ideas to me, then why wait for 1 year - kal kisne dekha - why don't you send it across now? I'll be more than happy to forward it to HumSub BOD on your behalf in case you don't want to send it yourself.

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3406

Sanju,

Thanks for you concern. In case you feel that some/all of my comments are not in tune with good spirits or are not in good taste then please be specific. I will make amends or explain my reasoning in further detail. Well, we are not here to impose our views on each other but I think AT is a place to express thoughts and opinions freely and frankly with-in limits of civility and tolerance. May be on some issues personal biases and prejudices creep in but that's all quite humane. My contentment is in expressions and not on reactions/opinions of others. That's your call. If I am in your place, I will simply ignore all posts/comments by 'Ashok'. "Who am I" ? That's a question you might have attempted in AOL course. My suggestion to you is that please ignore my existence here.

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3408

A - u must be joking or you don't know *counting*. really, do u have really know 1000 people and not counting students from NC, UNC - you should be contesting for some local elections then..

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3410

• A
Sanju,

1000 people is only around 500 families. It is not much. We have 10 Indian families in my neighborhood. There are some neighborhood who are full of Indians.

A
sanjus wrote:

A - u must be joking or you don't know *counting*. really, do u have really know 1000 people and not counting students from NC, UNC - you should be contesting for some local elections then..

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3413

there might be neighborhood full of indians - but the question was do you know them & i hope you understand the meaning of *knowing* someone :)

Re:Cary Diwali 2009 14 years 5 months ago #3414

& btw, re: >>>I know Humsub BOD members personally and few sponsors too. I thought I read that you helped this time. If you did not, don't bother- I know who to, when to and how to talk with those guys.

if you knew whom to, when to & how to - you would not be ranting over here. my offer is still open if you want to send your specific feedback & ideas, i can surely forward to them and ensure they have been looked into - even though i don't know anyone over there personally. you know what feedback & ideas mean, right? There's heck of a difference between feedback/ideas and ranting.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds