TOPIC: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13537

• pulp

Anonymous wrote: Every kid and family is different. You cannot generalize based on age. Search Google.

What other obvious things do you Google? Sun rises in the east? Sanjus' post had some worthwhile suggestions. I guess you can't figure that out without Google. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13538

• pulp

saffrondiner wrote: surprisingly Saffron is still best restaurant in Triangle.

The rating is probably done by a non-desi person. There is no way any discerning diner would rate Saffron high for quality. For a vegetarian, the experience is worse with the choices being meager and bland. The price makes it even worse.

Paradise is probably a better bet than Saffron for veg/ non-veg. For veg alone, Tower and Udipi are the better choices.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13539

• Anonymous

saffron wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

saffron wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

saffron wrote:
Try Saffron.. I tried it on my b'day party and everyone loved the food... its lil expensive though..

I have eaten at their buffet and never liked their food.

Really? I just love their buffet. Try going there on weekends where they usually have more varieties as compared to weekdays. Again, they are lil more expensive as compared to others (on weekends) but its worth going. Try it this time and let me know if you like it or not.

I have never been there on a weekend and it seems that you agree that weekday food quality is worse than the weekend food. I know, it's more of a personal choice. I was there recently (I suppose it was last Friday) and the guy served something stupid in the name of carrot halwa.

I din't say its bad on weekdays.. Its just that weekends have more variety.. I had been there this Friday and as you rightly said they served something else in name of carrot halwa... It was Mango moose.. I don't eat carrot halwa, so I just enjoyed the moose... lol

1. If weekend is better, weekday is worse. No?

2. Who cares what you like? You could be from Saffron trying to pimp their "Mango moose".

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13540

• Anonymous
Nope. Sanjus is called Google Copier on AT. That was sarcasm. As the taste is different for everyone so as age HEHEHE..

I love to listen honest opinion about Indian restaurants. Everyone in the world knows taste differs - so what is Sanju's point. Stick with copy Google.

pulp wrote:

Anonymous wrote: Every kid and family is different. You cannot generalize based on age. Search Google.

What other obvious things do you Google? Sun rises in the east? Sanjus' post had some worthwhile suggestions. I guess you can't figure that out without Google. :)

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13541

• Anonymous
Ratings don't mean much. You are right.

pulp wrote:

The rating is probably done by a non-desi person. There is no way any discerning diner would rate Saffron high for quality. For a vegetarian, the experience is worse with the choices being meager and bland. The price makes it even worse.

Paradise is probably a better bet than Saffron for veg/ non-veg. For veg alone, Tower and Udipi are the better choices.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13542

SAFFRON SUCKS!!! Both for quality of food and being expensive (did someone say 'just a little' expensive?)...I would recommend 'Zayka' or 'Tamarind'...just my 2 cents!

Anonymous wrote: Ratings don't mean much. You are right.

pulp wrote:

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13543

• Anonymous
You are so right.

mohitb272 wrote: SAFFRON SUCKS!!! Both for quality of food and being expensive (did someone say 'just a little' expensive?)...I would recommend 'Zayka' or 'Tamarind'...just my 2 cents!

Anonymous wrote: Ratings don't mean much. You are right.

pulp wrote:

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13544

• saffron

Anonymous wrote:

saffron wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

saffron wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

saffron wrote:
Try Saffron.. I tried it on my b'day party and everyone loved the food... its lil expensive though..

I have eaten at their buffet and never liked their food.

Really? I just love their buffet. Try going there on weekends where they usually have more varieties as compared to weekdays. Again, they are lil more expensive as compared to others (on weekends) but its worth going. Try it this time and let me know if you like it or not.

I have never been there on a weekend and it seems that you agree that weekday food quality is worse than the weekend food. I know, it's more of a personal choice. I was there recently (I suppose it was last Friday) and the guy served something stupid in the name of carrot halwa.

I din't say its bad on weekdays.. Its just that weekends have more variety.. I had been there this Friday and as you rightly said they served something else in name of carrot halwa... It was Mango moose.. I don't eat carrot halwa, so I just enjoyed the moose... lol

1. If weekend is better, weekday is worse. No?

2. Who cares what you like? You could be from Saffron trying to pimp their "Mango moose".

Yes. U're right, if that makes u happy.. lol

catering for a b'day party @home & Desi restaurant 12 years 7 months ago #13546

• next_pick??
Are we done with Saffron? Shall we pick another restaurant? When to start? today or tomorrow morning??

:P After long time AT members are peacefully giving reviews on restaurant. Keep it up.

Re: catering for a b'day party @home & Desi restaurant 12 years 7 months ago #13548

• Anonymous
I would love to hear about other restaurants too specifically about food quality - cooking, fresh (or stale), service, price....where do Indian restaurants rates as compared to TGI, CCF, Olive Garden, On the Border etc.

next_pick?? wrote: Are we done with Saffron? Shall we pick another restaurant? When to start? today or tomorrow morning??

:P After long time AT members are peacefully giving reviews on restaurant. Keep it up.

Re: catering for a b'day party @home & Desi restaurant 12 years 7 months ago #13549

• Anonymous

Anonymous wrote: I would love to hear about other restaurants too specifically about food quality - cooking, fresh (or stale), service, price....where do Indian restaurants rates as compared to TGI, CCF, Olive Garden, On the Border etc.

next_pick?? wrote: Are we done with Saffron? Shall we pick another restaurant? When to start? today or tomorrow morning??

It would be improper to compare individual run Indian restaurants with dining restaurant chains you've listed here. One thing that I always been concerned about is what goes on in the kitchen of a desi restaurant ... like if they use leftovers? or if the cheese or meat has been left outside the fridge, do they throw it or still use it? if they fry in the same oil for days? etc.

Re: catering for a b'day party @home & Desi restaurant 12 years 7 months ago #13550

• pulp

Anonymous wrote: It would be improper to compare individual run Indian restaurants with dining restaurant chains you've listed here. One thing that I always been concerned about is what goes on in the kitchen of a desi restaurant ... like if they use leftovers? or if the cheese or meat has been left outside the fridge, do they throw it or still use it? if they fry in the same oil for days? etc.

people think going green is a new fad but restaurants have been in the recycling business for years. :laugh:

Re: catering for a b'day party @home & Desi restaurant 12 years 7 months ago #13551

AFAIK, every restaurant (and other food service establishments) has to get a permit from the city's health department each year and the food-inspectors also do random checks for hygiene, fresh food etc parameters. These permits are framed near the entrance of the restaurant so that it's clearly visible to the customer.

Since the inspections are random, there's a chance that some restaurants might be able to slip thru the crack once in a while and do unethical/illegal stuff (like serving stale food), however, I strongly doubt they'd risk the closure of their business if found in violation of any restaurant-health-codes even once by the health inspectors.

As a responsible consumer, it's also our duty to report to the local health department if any of the vendors don't practice/serve food in a safe and hygienic environment.

Anonymous wrote: It would be improper to compare individual run Indian restaurants with dining restaurant chains you've listed here. One thing that I always been concerned about is what goes on in the kitchen of a desi restaurant ... like if they use leftovers? or if the cheese or meat has been left outside the fridge, do they throw it or still use it? if they fry in the same oil for days? etc.

Re: catering for a b'day party @home & Desi restaurant 12 years 7 months ago #13552

• Anonymous
We know how the system works. No need to copy again.

Let us stick to the point. Where do you see Indian restaurants in terms of food, freshness (stale), recycling, cleanliness as compared to standard American places? Prices are pretty comparable.

What is the opinion and perception and experience of PEOPLE?

sanjus wrote: AFAIK, every restaurant (and other food service establishments) has to get a permit from the city's health department each year and the food-inspectors also do random checks for hygiene, fresh food etc parameters. These permits are framed near the entrance of the restaurant so that it's clearly visible to the customer.

Since the inspections are random, there's a chance that some restaurants might be able to slip thru the crack once in a while and do unethical/illegal stuff (like serving stale food), however, I strongly doubt they'd risk the closure of their business if found in violation of any restaurant-health-codes even once by the health inspectors.

As a responsible consumer, it's also our duty to report to the local health department if any of the vendors don't practice/serve food in a safe and hygienic environment.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13553

• chekbeforeueat
One can check restaurant inspection grading before dining. :laugh: If you do then I guess we are left with less choice.

wake.digitalhealthdepartment.com/

Re: catering for a b'day party @home & Desi restaurant 12 years 7 months ago #13554

• pulp

Anonymous wrote: What is the opinion and perception and experience of PEOPLE?

Start with yours.

Re: catering for a b'day party @home & Desi restaurant 12 years 7 months ago #13556

Do the health department also have similar inspections for the grocery sold in Indian stores ? Couple of times in triangle area I have seen expired food being sold at the Indian store. Once I even told the cashier about it and his reaction was take it or leave it...

Re: catering for a b'day party @home & Desi restaurant 12 years 7 months ago #13557

I am sure there are more knowledgeable peep on this forum with their amrit vaani, never-the-less!

AFAIK, all food establishments are covered by some local government prescribed health-code - Grocery stores might have different laws than that of the restaurants depending on what kind of food items they sell. Any food items (raw, cooked, or processed) edible for human consumption are governed by local laws.

There are times when it could be considered human error, oversight for the expired items to be still sitting on the shelf. That's not an excuse to sell the expired items. If it was brought to the store owner's attention then it's their legal obligation to take it off the shelf right-away.

In such cases, the first incident of the expired goods should be brought to the store owner's attention so that he/she can take appropriate corrective action. 2nd such incident should be served him/her as a warning that you would complain to the City authorities of any such future incidences. 3rd incident should definitely be reported to the local authorities, posted on AT forum etc so that the merchant realizes that there are serious repercussions to selling expired goods.

As a responsible customer, it's also your duty to report all such violations to the local authorities with an appropriate warning to the merchant.

As always, keep records of each of the incidents like date/time, product, expiry-date etc. After the 2nd incident get some other customer to listen to your complaint just in case.

bvin2k wrote: Do the health department also have similar inspections for the grocery sold in Indian stores ? Couple of times in triangle area I have seen expired food being sold at the Indian store. Once I even told the cashier about it and his reaction was take it or leave it...

Pulp's take on restaurants 12 years 7 months ago #13558

• pulp
while u guys wander the grocery aisles...

favorite restaurant is tower. udipi used to be the favorite until i noticed that the food appears to be heavier in the tummy/ appetite is satiated with just a few dishes. tower though has a qualitative difference in that i can make multiple trips to the buffet and feel like i have eaten a good selection without feeling like i OD'd at the buffet. the food at tower appears healthier and tastes better. rajbhog is good for snacks and kinda okay for the occasional buffet (though it doesn't seem worth the price but for the AT discount).

next up is tijuana flats. love the sauces, especially the death wish!

inchin used to be a favorite but i pretty much figured more of that food will make me a haven for cholesterol sooner rather than later.

carrabbas' and biaggi's are preferred for italian. thai spices for... you guessed it... thai! hot breads is good for the puffs and pastries.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds