• Page:

TOPIC: Quinoa Veg Upma/ Pulav - by LFC

Quinoa Veg Upma/ Pulav - by LFC 11 years 1 month ago #22029

Dear AT'ers,

Yesterday I cooked Quinoa Veg Pulav, - recipe was provided by LFC. It was very healthy, nutritious and tastes very yummy. My family enjoyed this new dish. Thank you LFC - your recipes make a Happy families.You are the inspiration, I had lost interest in cooking with my monotonous recipes, I am back again wanting to cook more, new and good stuff.

Here is the recipe.

1. Quinoa - 2 cups
  2. Masoor dal - 1/2 Cup
  3. Water - 4 cups
  4. Salt - As needed
  5. Choyte Squash - 1 cut into small cubes
  6. Carrots - 1 cut into small pieces (Optional)
  7. Green Peas - 1/2 cup (Frozen and thawed, do not cook)
  8. Cilantro - chopped (Fistful)
  9. Green Onions - Chopped (Fistful)
  10. Ginger - 1 inch (Finely Chopped or grated)
  11. Gralic - 2 cloves (Finely Chopped)
  12. Onion - Medium size chopped
  13. Bay Leaves - 2
  14. Cloves - 4
  15. Cinnamon stick -1
  16. Black whole Pepper - as required
  17. Turmeric - pinch

Directions

Take a pressure cooker, add some oil (as required). On Medium heat, add Bay leaves, cloves cinnamon, and black pepper, once it splutters, add the chopped onions. When onions turns to light brown, add ginger, garlic and pinch of turmeric and fry for a min. Now add the washed quinoa and massor dal. Add salt and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Meanwhile microwave the choyte squash and carrots.

Once the cooker is cooled, open the lid and add all veggies, cilantro and spring onions and cover it and cook on low flame for couple of mins and take off the flame.

Serve hot with Cucumber and mint Raita with pickles.

LFC- Could you please upload the picture, I was in a hurry and kids were so hungry, I was not able to take the picture.

I see lot of catering ads and there are lot of Ladies with cooking skills, Please share your recipes here.

Thanks
Kubi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Quinoa Veg Upma/ Pulav - by LFC 11 years 1 month ago #22030

Good Healthy Recipe. Thanks for Sharing.

Also, in the pulav, one could add small bite size tofu cubes for even more protein rich recipe.

Re: Quinoa Veg Upma/ Pulav - by LFC 11 years 1 month ago #22032

Kubi, I am happy to read that your family enjoyed first Quinoa dish, it is not easy to like quinoa very first time you eat it...but this recipe uses spices and herbs which brings good flavor.During last few months I have tried cooking quinoa in pressure pan/cooker with mix and match of spices and veggies and addition of grains/lentils. It takes only half an hour, it is one pot meal and can be eaten as breakfast, lunch-dinner.

I am sharing two images, these quinoa dishes are cooked with Chayote but masoor dal is not used as given in Kubi's dish. This will give you idea how they look after cooking. You can eat it like Khichdi too by adding Ghee and Milk. I like to eat with one full tsp ghee, you can see it in one picture. :)

Today I cooked similar dish with roasted Pumpkin, it is Sattvic version because I did not use onion. I gave cumin Tadka, added lot of ginger, little green chilies. Flavored with fresh basil and Greek oregano. Today I paired it with Orzo.( I will share pictures later.)

@Kubi,
Attachment feature is not working, I can open and click add file but further it is not doing anything. I will try to upload on flickr.

This is chayote and green peas quinoa Upma/Pulao.

This quinoa pulao is made with green peas and carrots.

Re: Quinoa Veg Upma/ Pulav - by LFC 11 years 1 month ago #22033

sanjus wrote: Good Healthy Recipe. Thanks for Sharing.

Also, in the pulav, one could add small bite size tofu cubes for even more protein rich recipe.

:) So far not added tofu in Quinoa but I will add in my next Quinoa dish. This makes me think of quinoa+tofu koftas or tikkis. I will update when I try quinoa-Tofu combination.

Re: Quinoa Veg Upma/ Pulav - by LFC 11 years 1 month ago #22037

You can also make curd quinoa (just like curd rice) and lemon quinoa (just like lemon rice). I have tried both and they are delicious. you can you Greek yogurt for curd rice for more protein, rest recipe is same as curd rice .

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds